Author Topic: Darlene's Sugery  (Read 5376 times)

Cheryl R

Re: Darlene's Sugery
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 06:02:51 pm »
Darin, Welcome as a postie.                  Is your Refresh the heavier Refesh Liquigel?        That has been my favorite and helps more than just the lighter weight tears if that is what you have been using.             There is an even heavier Celluvisc also which is good but makes the vision blurrier.   The night does need the heavier even gel.          Finding the right way to protext the eye at night is interesting.          I used a dab of gel around saran wrap type product and over the eye.    Others have used other ways and your hospital may have its own idea.   
Your family is missing mid 80's down here in central Iowa.                Good luck in your recovery!                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

bsharpintexas

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 07:55:46 am »
Darlene and Craig,

So glad things went well! My wife Pam just had surgery on June 15th. Pam's left eye would not close at first. Here is what we did for the dryness.

- In the hospital
  - Eye drops every 1-2 hours
  - Refresh PM gel on eye every four hours
  - Gel on eye before taping shut at night
  - Taped eye shut at night with the white hospital "paper" tape (start on eyelid down to cheek)
  - After taping eye, covered eye with gause square and then taped that down (we never used the eye patch)

After about 10 days at home she was able to close her eye more and we did not have to tape her eye at night anymore.

This worked for us but everyone is differnt.

Pam also had some problems sleeping sue to the steroids. They gave her insulin as well. The steroids also made her hot (I had a few layers of clothes on in the hospital). She is almost done with the steroids and the sleeping has not been a problem for awhile.

Hope this helps.

Craig - Welcome to the AN Spouse club!

Take care,
Bryan and Pam

Darlene

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 09:33:33 am »
Bryan and Pam,

Thank you for the information, I did it yesterday and it really helped.  I am seeing a little improvement so I hope I too will not need to tape tonight.  Thanks for your help.   Take care, Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!