Author Topic: Small AN - deep in canal - options  (Read 12840 times)

cindyj

Re: Small AN - deep in canal - options
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2009, 10:47:48 am »
Welcome back, Cheryl!  I look forward to talking to you when you're settled and ready...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2009, 01:16:36 pm »
I, too, want to jump in late and wish you the best in your trip to LA.  I went to House in May and things worked out great.  Feel free to ask questions!  Alicia
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

stef84

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2009, 09:20:35 pm »
Hello,
I am 25 and also have a AN deep in my canal- my hearing is mostly gone on my right side and my balance is awful. I met with Dr. Golfinos and Dr. Roland at NYU Medical Center. They both recommended the Translab. Approach, because my hearing is not worth saving. I have no scheduled the appointment yet, and am INCREDIBLY nervous. I was very happy to find this forum and see how many people have had successful surgeries with the two doctors at Langone Med. Center. If anyone has gone through the Translab. Approch at NYU I'd love to hear from you and see how eveything went.
25 year old teacher
diagnosed 7/09 - 28mm right side
Translab. w/ Dr.Roland & Dr. Golfinos (NYU) June 2, 2010
Deafness on Right
Feeling Fantastic! =)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 11:03:56 pm »
Hi, Stef and welcome to the forum.

It's normal to be incredibly nervous when diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma.  You are in excellent hands with Drs. Roland & Golfinos - they have a stellar reputation. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2009, 08:09:25 am »
Welcome, Stef .....

You have come to the right place for loads of support as you walk through all of the stages of having an acoustic neuroma.  We are here not only to support and answer any and all questions ..... but also to laugh and cry with you along the way.

As Jan has said, most of us were really thrown by the initial diagnosis of AN ..... it sort of turns one's world upside down at first, so being nervous is a completely normal reaction.  Hang in there and ask any and all questions, none are ever silly or stupid.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

another NY postie

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2009, 09:31:40 am »
HI, Stef...I am the one who originally started this thread as I, too, had a small AN deep in canal - as far back as you can apparently can get.  I did consult with Roland and Golfinos and they were high on my list.  I ultimately went out to Dr. Brackmann at House Ear Institute for Middle Fosa as I hoped to retain my hearing via this surgical approach and I still had 85% on that side.  I didn't preserve it, however - the AN was stuck to this artery that supplies blood in canal.  ROland and GOlfinos have an excellent reputation and you will find that many have used them on this forum.  Good luck on your decision making process...if I had lost most of my hearing, I probably would have gone translab, too. 
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'