Author Topic: Miss Molly surgery updates  (Read 13734 times)

Helga

Re: Miss Molly surgery updates
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2009, 11:30:57 am »
Molly,
good to hear from you! Sounds like you are doing very well overall. How is the sleeping going, did you find good pillows to prop you up? Hope your eye keeps improving.
You're in my thoughts,
Helga

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2009, 03:19:01 pm »
Molly ~

Thanks for the update - and I'm pleased to learn that your recuperation is going rather well!  The swelling can be a hindrance to recovery but thankfully, steroids handle it.  I just hope you can wean off them as soon as possible and by doing so, manage to avoid their unpleasant side-effects.  I'll assume you're on a 5-day dosage, which shouldn't be a problem.  Getting out and, especially, walking, is good therapy.  I did that - with great success.  I hope you'll enjoy a similar experience.  :)  Please keep us updated on your progress.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MissMolly

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2009, 04:43:32 pm »
Yes, Helga,
I'm getting good sleep and seem to not need the pillows as much any more.  Once the stitches came out (Thursday) I can get comfy on my regular pillows.  Every day I'm sleeping better.

Hi Jim,
Yes, I'm on the 5 day course of steroids.  Already seeing much progress with my blinking and smiling.  It seems this is just one of the little bumps in the road on recovery.  Thankfully the weather has been nice I got home and I'm able to at least sit outside comfortably and enjoy the day.  Tomorrow is the first day home with children (2 11 year olds) so we'll see how much quiet I get!!

Take care!!

Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

moe

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2009, 06:52:52 pm »
Hi Molly,
Sorry to hear about the eye issues, but like you said, just a bump in the road of recovery.
Really you are doing awesome for post op. 4-6 weeks is the norm for varied symptoms and setbacks.
It's like 2 steps forward, one step back and before you know it, you'll be back to your "norm."
Keep up the good work :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2009, 07:03:33 pm »
MissyMolly! I'm still following along and sounds like things are coming along for you! I'm glad that each day is a little better (esp. now since the stitches are out) and sending those continued wellness wishes your way!  Hope you also enjoyed the sunshine..... about time is showed up around these parts, eh? :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MissMolly

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2009, 07:02:18 am »
Thanks, Phyl.  The sunshine has helped recovery a lot!! 
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

Lilan

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2009, 07:07:18 am »
4-6 weeks is the norm for varied symptoms and setbacks.

It is? Do I need to prepare myself for something?  :D  What happens at 4-6 weeks?

ETA: Hope that's not a hijack as Miss M needs to know too  ;)
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2009, 07:32:51 am »
Lilan,
Don't worry.  I haven't had any setbacks and will be 3 months post-op on Wednesday.
Keep on truckin', Molly.  As with Bob (Stoneaxe) I wish the doctors had put you on a longer regimen of steroids as they did me from the start.  It made life much easier (except for the crazy person you all had to survive at the time).
Isn't the sun (and the moon as well) beautiful?  I missed them.
Off for a paddle on this glorious day,
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2009, 07:53:31 pm »
Happy things are improving...I'm having a similar problem with my left eye. My face is still unmoving but the eye is getting better. The rest will follow.

You're making me jealous with the talk of paddling Nancy... ;D
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org