Author Topic: proton beam vs cyberknife  (Read 2154 times)

hevreh

proton beam vs cyberknife
« on: June 20, 2009, 02:21:34 pm »
Well I am 98% certain that ck is my treatment of choice. I have treatments scheduled at both MGH and BIDMC in Boston in July and will cancel planning sessions at one facility this coming week. I've done extensive research and spoke to chief radiaton physicists, chief radiation oncolgiists and chief therapists from across the USA. Also, Phyl and Mark of ANA leadership and e-mail exchanges with some of you brought me to determine what seems best for me:

Firstly, the team at MGH is extraordinary and Dr. Loeffler is one of the most respected radiation oncologists in the universe. When speaking to experts from New York Presbyterian and Mount Sinai hospitals in NYC, Duke in NC, his name brought reverence to conversations. Stanford Medical in CA, Anderson in TX, Mayo Clinic in MN, Lahey Clinic in MA among other premier care institutions were talked with for perspectives. What's clear is that radiation options and outcomes for ANs are debatable. Specific to proton beam vs CK (my selected FSR treatment approaches), frankly it's a "wash" in terms of hearing preservation which is my #1 concern. With this information I am about to confirm with CK as it will be 5 treatments in a week's time vs 30 treatments during 4-6 weeks. Since I found no appreciable advantage of one treatment over another, I'll be going with CK. Secondarily, I believe no frame to wear in CK while this is the case with proton which also requires "bb" implants (no deal breaker but why).

Thank you ALL for your support as I drilled down to make an informed choice. Hope this may be helpful to another.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: proton beam vs cyberknife
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 05:49:11 am »
I want to say a MAJOR kudos for the extensive research you have done to help determine what will be best for you.  Once an AN treatment decision is made, it truly does feel like a monkey off your back and at times, you may feel "ok, done deal, time to rock" attitude.  You've done a terrific job in all you have researched and the reaching out to other AN patients to help make the best, well informed decision you can make and you know how to find me if you have questions about CK at BIDMC.

Yes, it is a plastic mesh mask.  To see the actual CK machine at BIDMC and to see what the mask looks like, here goes, taken from my frappr page (www.frappr.com/ppearl214) where I've shared my CK journey:

Me on the treatment table:

The CK mask... my "Hannibal Lechter" impersonation :) :

I'm in the wings if there are any questions...  and please let us know the final, final decision (you noted 98% sure) and what date in July... and again, congrats on finalizing your decision. :)

Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"