Author Topic: Blurry vision?  (Read 6093 times)

alot2learn

Blurry vision?
« on: June 07, 2009, 09:53:26 pm »
My question is has anyone had blurry vision on there AN side. Mine keeps going in and out of focus when I blink. its like a film is over my eye that comes and goes. I have gone to 2 different eye doctors in my area and all I am told is give it time and keep you eye moist, but they do not see anything wrong with my eye. I had a gold weight implanted in my eyelid and have had a lower eye lift both were done about 5 weeks ago. My tumor surgey was about 7 weeks ago. at night I put Genteal severe lubricated drops and wear my extenal eye weight to keep my eye closed. I also sleep with my head elevated. During the day I use eye wash to flush 3x per day and use Genteal moderate lubircated drops.   

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
Re: Blurry vision?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 10:41:41 pm »
I have this at times, but attribute it to the fact that the eye is off and on dry, is getting drops and gels put in it, and has also somewhat been affected by the damage to my Trigeminal nerve during surgery (facial sensations).  The sensation in that eye is 'different' on the outside section of the eyeball. Can't really explain it, but it's almost as if it's not feeling completely right.  As such, when I get blury vision in my AN side eye, I chalk it up to the number of things going on on that side.  In fact, I'm due to have my eyes checked (coincidence on timing) but just cancelled the appt. b/c I don't feel it would be an accurate portrayal of what my vision will be like (I'm just assuming it's affected somewhat from surgery and will 'regulate' in the coming weeks/months).

Not sure exactly why, but I think I'm in the same boat.......

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

mk

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 07:27:19 am »

Some people are sensitive to the preservatives in the eye drops. You may want to try a preservative-free brand, such as Refresh Celluvisc. It seems that many people on the board agree that these work best than everything else. In any case, you might have to experiment with many different brands to see what works best for you. You may also need to apply drops more often.
Also, by "eye wash" do you mean flushing with water? Gosh, whenever water goes into my eye it gets extremely irritated, I think it is because of the lack of a protective film of tears. I avoid getting water in my eye as much as possible.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

petittrv

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 11:10:39 am »
If there is one issue that really annoys me day to day in my post-op life it is the blurry vision you speak of.  I agree that it is seems like a film of what we called "eye goop" as kids but I can't focus well enough to see it and just have to keep blinking until it "moves away".  Although I say its an annoyance - it is really pretty minor and if that is the worse thing I have to deal with, I'm OK with it (not like there's a choice). 

I do like to use the Refresh Celluviisic drops on the rare occasion that I get dried out.  I can close my eye pretty well with the eye weight and lower lid surgery and it only took a couple of months to go from multiple daily eyedrop uses to maybe only once or twice a week now.

Unfortunately I cannot say the same for my vision which has remained cruddy from day one post-op.   I am 20 months post-op and it has never really improved although I now have some corrective glasses to help me read.  But many on this board seem to recover their sight so  wouldn't put it down as a lost cause.

I am currently in Tikrit, Iraq which is probably one of the harshest places on earth for non-blinking eyes.  I was worried that it would be a problem but two major sandstorms down and I've rarely used the drops.  Although it gets uncomfortable at times, its held up very well.  Just saying that to show the blurry vision and "film" is certainly a concern, but very overcomeable (if that's a word).

Good luck in your recovery and I recommend just using the Celluvisic drops and maybe the Celluvisic lubrication at night - but I was a horrible patient and was very lazy about the routines the doctors recommended.  Its worked out OK so far but some of my complaints above might have been corrected by now if I had stuck to a regimen like you are.
4.5 cm AN - diagnosed 12 Sep 07; removed 2 Oct 07.  VII to XII Nerve transfer 9 Oct 07; CSF leak repair/eyelid weight installed 16 Oct 07. Deaf in left ear, facial paralysis

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 04:22:12 pm »
I think most of us with facial palsy suffer from this.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 08:48:09 pm »
i had blurry vision for about 10 days after my surgery, and reading your post, it seemed that you got out of surgery not too long ago.  give it time for your facial nerve to heal and continue in your recovery - hope this helps!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

28Lisa

• pre opt
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 11:40:17 am »
I have blurred vision on the AN side because of my removal in 07.....my cornea is scarred because of excessive dryness being in the hospital without the proper care of the drops....... contemplating a cornea transplant, thats my only solution but thats another big opt so Im sticking to the drops at the moment
A.N. 4+cm, 9/11/07 @ NY Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Phillip Stieg
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07

epodjn

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 04:33:01 pm »
I'm 7 months out and have been going to my eye doctor regularly. My vision has gone from 20/40 presurgery to 20/400 post surgery, and has improved to 20/70-120 (depending on dryness, eye drops etc.)  over the last 7 months. He thinks that is as good as it's going to get. The frustrating thing is that it is not correctable. Like everyone else has said, it's like a film over my eye that comes and goes. They glasses he gave me only help marginally. I can't see well enough to read with that eye. Good thing my other eye is healthy and normal, although not perfect vision, at least its correctable to 20/20. I think we all of us with 7th nerve damage deal with some kind of eye problems.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

Jeanlea

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 06:42:19 pm »
My eye has been blurry ever since my surgery almost 4 years ago.  It depends on just what I'm putting in my eye.  I've never been able to go without drops or ointment.  I went to the eye doctor the other day and my vision in that eye was 20/60 which is one of my best readings.  There are times when I blink that I'm able to read this type easily, but it doesn't stay clear.  Luckily my other eye is 20/20.  Shortly after my surgery I developed something on my eye that has turned into a scar.  I'm sure there is a technical name, but I don't recall it.  Some kind of keratis I think.  There has been no change in it for at least two years now.  My doctor said I only need to come in every year now instead of every six months.  I have found that most of the time I'm really only looking with one eye because my vision is not blurry.   I think my brain has adapted.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 07:49:30 pm »
I think we all seriously need to contact the team in charge of the Boston scleral contact lens and recommend a trial study of the use of the lens for facial paralysis patients. I am on vacation right now, but when I return home I will look up the contact info for the doctors there.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13