Author Topic: Adrienne's postie story  (Read 18737 times)

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
Re: Adrienne's postie story
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2009, 11:35:11 pm »
I'm 4 weeks out from surgery now.  Crazy how fast time flies.  My sister has been out to visit me and help out for the last 10 days or so, and just left this morning.  Tomorrow I wake up and go it all alone.  It's been so nice having someone here the entire time since the surgery!

I'm feeling better and better all the time.  It's a fairly slow process though (I know, I'm impatient!).  The fullness in the ear is still there, but definitely much less than the first few weeks.  The ringing has gone unchanged.  Constant, with no relief (surprisingly, thinking about how this would sound prior to surgery was so horrible, but living with it is less horrible than I imagined.  I think it's because even though it never goes away, I can tune it out at times).  The headaches are getting better too.  Less severe, and less often.  Just trying to fix the night time headaches (feels so bruised still back there.  Just bought a new memory foam pillow today, so I'll give that a go.  I wake up with my head hurting-feels like the pillow is too hard, even though I use a goose down pillow!).  I think my hearing may be getting worse.  Maybe it's just that I'm out and about more in noisy situations and notice the loss more.  I've had a few difficult times lately where I need people to keep repeating themselves.  In large groups I tend to just shut down a bit because I feel like I'm a pain to ask everyone to repeat for me!

The scar is healing so well too!  I don't have a current picture, but this one was taken 10 days ago-so I'm sure it looks even better.  I'm so impressed!  Sorry for the size, I forgot to resize before putting them on there.  But hey-it gives you a good close up.  LOL  When my hair is down you'd never know what I've been though. (BTW, anyone know how long it will continue to feel severely bruised on my head?  Are we talking months or weeks?)
I'm contemplating going for a short jog this week to test out the new head.  Thursday marks one month, so I'm thinking that is a good day to give it a go! :-)

3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

tenai98

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2009, 06:11:43 am »
Looking good.  I never really had any pain around incision site...just tightness...My tinnitus as all but dissappeared...very little ringing and not that often...scar looks really great....and with your long hair...poof its gone
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2009, 07:21:29 am »
Adrienne .....

If this picture was taken 10 days ago, it looks really good for less than 3 weeks out!

As most of us have said, everyone is different as to incisional discomfort.  When you consider how many nerves were cut .... to say nothing of skin, blood vessels, dura, etc. ..... it is amazing to me that the pain was not greater.  At 16 months out, I still have tenderness (and lumpiness  :-\ ) when I touch that area.  The numb, weird feeling lasts for years (at least my first retrosigmoid surgery did).  After the first time, it was a long time before I could lie down on my back without getting a raging headache ..... did not take me long to figure that out!  This time that did not happen ..... do not know why.

Unfortunately the tinnitus may never go away ..... mine hasn't ..... in fact it seems to be worse now than it was six months ago!   :(  But, as you say, I can tune it out a great deal of the time so I certainly am not complaining if that is the worst I have!  Hearing seems to come and go with the degree of tinnitus, for some odd reason.

Glad you are doing so well and thanks for the great pictures!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

moe

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2009, 08:57:27 am »
Adrienne,
You look GREAT :) :) :)
Glad the headaches are getting a little better.
The head discomfort lasted some time for me. I can't remember now :) Amazing how it all becomes a blur a couple years down the road. Just keep doing what you are doing. Find different things to make it feel as comfortable as possible.
I used Vit E oil, from the capsule and rubbed it into the healed incision (maybe wait a couple of more weeks for that.).
It seemed to help the tightness.
Keep up the great recovery!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Keri

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2009, 12:30:44 pm »
Hi Adrienne,
So glad you updated. It's nice to see how posties are coming along.
My incision didnt' bother me too much post op - I guess my head was numb. I'm almost 5 mths post op, and it bothers me a bit now, but it's not really painful.
Good luck on the running. I'm plugging along really slowly. I think the 'slow' part helped me not feel like my brains were going to be jumping around in my head. At first, my tummy fat incision bothered me more when I first started running, but that's all better now. The running helps me when I'm feeling wonky headed (both pre op and post op).
Glad you're recovery is going well! Amazing that it's 4 weeks already.... i remember when we were all hoping that your date wouldn't get bumped back!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2009, 01:55:10 pm »
Adrienne ~

Thanks for posting your incision photos.  Obviously, you're healing quickly, which is great.  I did too.  Even with my relatively short haircut, my incision scar was basically invisible within about a month. 

As you know by now, every AN patient has a slightly different experience with their surgical outcome.  I found the area around my incision was only sensitive for a few weeks but the whole side of my skull (my left side) felt sort of numb for about 9 months.  I didn't sleep on the 'AN side' for close to a year.  By my first surgery anniversary that was all over and I could sleep on the 'AN side' - and still do, frequently.   So, total healing in that area could be measured in months, as it was in my case, but that is anecdotal.  However, I hope it can serve, with other replies, as an indicator for you.  I doubt jogging will be much of a problem but we'll await your 'report' on that adventure.  :)  Good luck!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cin605

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 08:13:26 pm »
Congrats!You look great adrienna!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 09:19:28 pm »
Another Canadian Beauty  ::)
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Adrienne

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2009, 10:00:47 pm »
Realized this afternoon that today is my 6 month anniversary from surgery.  I'm feeling really great.  Really the only things 'left' to deal with are numbness of the skull (I'm told this can last at least a year?), about 40-50% hearing loss (pretty sure all that I'm going to get to keep, I've got already!  Not expecting any more improvements), and constant ringing.  The numbness on the left side of my face and tongue (trigeminal issue) is about 97% gone.  I'm positive it will go away completely in time.

When I started running again after surgery, I signed up for my soccer team.  Blew out my ankle in the first game (really, really bad sprain) and was laid up doing nothing for the last few months (SO frustrating!).  I started doing the P90X fitness DVDs last Wednesday.  They're brutally hard, but I can tell they're going to do a great job of getting me back in shape.  Gotta look good in my bathing suit, because hubby and I (and our two kids 9 and 6) are heading to Australia for a month mid Jan to mid Feb.  It's our 'reward' for a hellish last year.  Can't wait!  I plan to try surfing while there, so I need to get better at the push ups!

Thanks everyone for the support over the last 6 months.  I still check back periodically and add input/welcomes when I can.  I remember how reassuring that was when I was new!

Take care!
Adrienne
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2009, 04:44:12 pm »
Adrienne .....

So glad to get the really positive update on your 6th month anniversary.  ..... and a trip to Australia!  What fun!  You deserve it.

Thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2009, 05:14:06 pm »
Adrienne ~

Happy 6-month anniversary!  Your conclusions about your recovery seem to be about right, based on my experience.  You're fortunate to have retained 50% hearing and I trust that it'll remain.  The skull numbness should dissipate within a few more months (mine took close to a year to resolve).  Any residual facial numbness will likely disappear or become unnoticeable to you which, again, was my experience.  In short, you should be fine.

Congratulations on your upcoming vacation in Australia! I'm sure you'll look great and have a fantastic time 'down under'.  Any envy you notice around here is purely coincidental.  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2009, 10:53:21 pm »
Adrienne,
Great to hear you are doing so well 6 months out, minus the ankle sprain. You probably got around more during post brain surgery time, as compared to ankle sprain time!
If it's not one thing, it's another.
You are a trooper for going full force ahead. Keep the attitude, and have a wonderful time in Australia.
You all definitely deserve it.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Adrienne

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2009, 02:45:59 pm »
Maureen- You are SO right.  The brain surgery was emotionally harder to recover from, but the ankle sprain was physically harder in a lot of ways, and definitely harder to get around for a long time!  That sounds so ridiculous, but it's true!  Darn ankle sprains.........!

Thanks for the nice words everyone.

Adrienne

Keri

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2009, 12:53:13 pm »
Congrats to you too!
Your trip to Australia sounds great!
I am glad your ankle is doing so much better.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

ANrookie

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2009, 01:29:46 am »
Adrienne I am so happy to hear that you are doing great 6 months post-op!  Have fun in Australia.  I went there March 2006 and it is one of my favorite places in the world.  After what you have been through, Australia is the best reward.  You will come back so relaxed and it may help with any lingering negative effects from your surgery.  Your story has helped me think more positive about my upcoming retrosig surgery.  Any way, just wanted to say congrats on your 6 month anniversary!

Cathy
Left side AN 1.5cm x 0.95 cm; Diagnosed 08/31/09        Retrosigmoid 12/11/09 Dr. Giannotta @USC University Hospital; Complete tumor removal; preserved nerve; facial weakness x3 months...smiling again :)