Author Topic: 9 months post-GK report  (Read 3299 times)

edhayes

• Edmunds Home Page
9 months post-GK report
« on: October 07, 2009, 04:59:48 pm »

Yesterday I went to NYU Medical Center and had my 9 month post-gamma knife checkup.
I am just so happy to report that my hearing is about the same as it was 3 months post-GK and it is slightly better than it was pre-GK.
Even better news was that even to the untrained eye there was a visible decrease in the size of my AA.  No longer was it just about touching my brain stem.
My doctor, and someone that I would recommend without the slightest hesitation to any person on earth, Dr. Golfinos, told me that he thinks it could have shrunk somewhere in the area of 25-30%.
He was delighted with my progress so far and so am I.
He even said that my progress is so good that my pre and post GK MRI's could be used as a teaching tool for GK.
At any rate I am happy as hell with my progress and I just wanted to announce it to the group.

One more thing.  Dr. Golfinos at NYU is a not only a fantastic neurosurgeon but a fantastic human being.  Anyone thinking about your options after being diagnosed with an AA should if logistically possible try to go to him for his opinion.  I can't say enough good things about him.

Edmund

sgerrard

Re: 9 months post-GK report
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 07:22:32 pm »
Edmund,

It is great to see you back, and with good news to boot. I have heard good things about Dr. Golfinos as a surgeon; it is good to hear them about GK as well.

It sounds like you are having an excellent result, congratulations. One more AN bites the dust. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

edhayes

• Edmunds Home Page
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 07:41:14 pm »
Thanks Steve
Dr. Golfinos is outstanding, as a matter of fact the whole facility is outstanding.
Truly a world class operation.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 03:58:52 pm »
Hi, Edmund ~

Thanks for the positive update and glowing recommendation for Doctor Golfinos and the NYU facility.  I'm delighted to learn of your GK success and I hope that things will only continue to get better for you as your recovery continues.  Your GK experience and your post should put to rest any conception of AN patients and this site as having much to do with 'gloom and doom'.  More like sunshine and optimism, in your case.  Well done.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

stef84

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 09:05:58 pm »
Hello,
I am new to this forum and was diagnosed with an AN this past summer. I am scheduling to have my surgery with Dr. Golfinos and Dr. Roland at NYU medical center. I am 25 and very nervous about the surgery. I am happy to hear all of the wonderful things being said about Dr. Golfinos!
25 year old teacher
diagnosed 7/09 - 28mm right side
Translab. w/ Dr.Roland & Dr. Golfinos (NYU) June 2, 2010
Deafness on Right
Feeling Fantastic! =)

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 09:29:24 pm »
After finding out about my AN  these are the Dr`s I`m using also over the past few years now. To me they are the best of all solutions. I`m presenly on their W+W list with many more of their patients. It seems to me they really treat every patient individually with no bias to anything but what best for you. Best Wishes, Mickey

Vivian B.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 11:14:53 am »
That is great news! Keep up the good recovery.

Vivian 
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

windy

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 05:30:50 pm »
Edmund, I truly am happy to read your story.  It is great to hear a good outcome such as yours.  I also like the fact that you really relate to your doctor in a positive way.  I appreciate you sharing your good news.  Congrats!
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014