Author Topic: Fingers crossed I "MAY" get my surgery date moved up.  (Read 17359 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Fingers crossed I "MAY" get my surgery date moved up.
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 07:51:09 pm »
Bob,

I know I'm late on this one and forgive for the tardiness, but I didn't want you to think I didn't see the update. You KNOW I'm cheering you on and sending those wellness wishes your way for the surgery.  I'm sorry that it has come down to the surgery, but I know you are in FAB hands and I know you are in great shape for this and it's time to rawk!

Will look for the updates and know I'm thinking of you.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

joebloggs

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 02:21:08 am »
That's so great Bob - whoop whoop!  Fantastic news - I'm sure you'll be right for the paddle.  The first couple of weeks you might think holy cow, I'm never going to get there, but once that first little while is up I'm sure you'll get back on track super fast!  I went paddling today out in some rough weather today but it was great, I just felt really strong and that paddling against the wind and waves was really helping me.  You'll get there too - hopefully the weather will be better for you!

cheers
JB x
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 05:30:01 am »
Hey, JB!  ;)

Bob,
Excuse my absence checking on your post-op progress.  I'll have five college boys visiting and a session party at my house that week.  But I'll catch up as soon as the dust settles.
Good luck!
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Jeepers

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 06:53:15 am »
Good going, Bob! I'm glad you got your date. I think the 17th gives you just enough time to get things done without a lot of extra time to "worry"  ;)

I'm waiting for my surg date ... your positive attitude is very catchy ... (thanks!)
Diagnosed 2003-right side-1cm AN
Wait and watch for 6 yrs; 2009 showed growth w/balance issues
Translab 7/9/09 - Drs. Battista/Kazan (Hinsdale IL); SSD
Recovering well!

Keri

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 09:13:46 pm »
That's great, Bob (as much as looking forward to surgery can be great!). That is over a week of extra training time - I think that will be very helpful.
I'm so glad to hear because I was just wondering today when your surgery was going to be.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Keri

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 06:59:14 am »
Are you still on for June 17th? It sounded maybe a bit uncertain. I put you on the calendar with a ????

Let us know! Happy paddling this weekend! How long are you going out for?

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 08:21:56 am »
Bob,
Remember to bake something for the surgeons.  Just take it into the pre-op room with you and on the gurney down to the OR, and they will give them to the desk where the team take their breaks.  Label them specifically for Barker/McKenna surgical team.  It works.  (See Adrienne.)
Good luck!
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 08:47:05 am »
Thanks all...getting a little anxious. Definitely on for the 17th....all systems go. Training is going well. I get out about every other day dor a couple hours. I'm going to do a 15 mile paddle this weekend and hope I can get at least some waves...not much surf though unfortunately. I was hoping for a good surf session before I go in since it will probably be at least 2 months before I attempt to surf again....going to drive me nuts. Maybe I'll have some good drug induced surfing dreams... ;D

HHmmm...baking....tollhouse cookies? Any suggestions....do you know what they like? What ingredients increase fine motor skills... ::)
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

moe

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 09:06:12 am »

all systems go ;)

t5days and counting down.

Enjoy your weekend, and have fun paddling. The 17th  will be here before you know it! and then it will be all behind you.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 10:12:05 am »
Bob ......

Although I do not know you personally, I have great admiration for you and your paddleboarding skills.  When I was much younger I might have tried it ..... now I am too afraid I might make matters worse by breaking something if I tried it!  ::)  With your determination and good physical condition I know you will be back at it as soon as you can stand up straight!!

Will be thinking about you as you countdown to finally getting rid of this unwanted cute thing deep inside your head!  ..... well, maybe cute isn't the right word ..... you can fill in another adjective!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Keri

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2009, 10:18:06 am »
Bob,
So glad to hear you're still 'on' for Wednesday!
Happy paddling.
Keri
My head feels weird!!

texsooner

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2009, 11:23:06 am »
Bob,

I've been reading about your situation. Sorry that your tumor has grown and that you have to go through the surgery, but you'll likely come out better on the other side having it removed. I admire your dedication to the paddleboarding and expect you'll be able to start it up again soon after your successful surgery. I know from experience that being physically fit and having a positive attitude is very important and I believe has a lot to do with having a great outcome and good/quick recovery. 

Good luck and hope to hear more about your paddling later this summer.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2009, 06:22:32 pm »
Bob -

good luck on the 17th.  I'm sure you'll be back to paddling before you know it.

We're all here to cheer you on!

Best,

Jan

PS - if you go with the Tollhouse cookies, I'll be happy to PM you my address so you can send some my way  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2009, 10:46:52 pm »
Best wishes to you Bob!  As others have said, I'm sure you'll be back on the board before you you know it!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Keri

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2009, 09:48:18 am »
Hey Bob,
Wondering if you got your 15 mile paddling in today. I thought of you - I did a very slow 15 mile run (that kicked my bottom)! It was so hot and humid; I thought, "If I were paddlle boarding right now, I could just fall in the water and cool off!" Sounds much better ! (unless the water's too cold, that is).

Keri
My head feels weird!!