Author Topic: Tight healing cap on one side of the scalp ?  (Read 5422 times)

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
Tight healing cap on one side of the scalp ?
« on: June 02, 2009, 03:01:16 pm »
I have not had my healing cap on for about 3 weeks now I just put it on to try it out and it feels tight on one side of the scalp anybody else had that.Does the Baha sit up higher then the healing cap? 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 03:06:10 pm by mikjul1 »
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Tight healing cap on one side of the scalp ?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 03:24:33 pm »
OK, I'm really going to show my ignorance now ...... what is a healing cap?  Is this something for BAHA users only?

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 09:25:42 pm »
Mike -

not sure what you mean by a healing cap.  I had a white plastic "cap" that held the bandage on my BAHA site post op, but once the doc removed it I never saw it again.

Why would you want to put it back on? 

Or, am I confusing this "healing cap" with something else?

Regardless, I think the answer to your question is, as the BAHA site heals the "screw" calcifies to your skull.  I never really thought of it before, but I'd imagine that might "displace" the screw a little.  Not that that's a bad thing. 

I can also tell you from touching the screw in my skull (just now) that the top of the screw is closer to my skull than the bottom of the screw.  The bottom is by no means far away from my skull, but it is defintely farther away than the top is.  This is because when you eventually get to snap on your processor, there will be a little room between your processor and your skull.   If your processor was right up against your skull it would cause irritation to your skin - and it might even cause the processor not to work properly (I think - I'm not 100% sure of this last part). 

Bottomline, I think everything is fine.  The way your BAHA site was immediately post op (remember the "divot"?) is not how it will ultimately look once your 90 days are up and everything has healed.  You'll see changes, but that's the way the surgery is "designed".

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

grega

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 06:48:45 am »
Jan .... good point when you said:

"If your processor was right up against your skull .... it might even cause the processor not to work properly..."

I was told, when I got the tester baha that it should not touch the ear because that would dampen the required vibrations.  Seems that the same goes for contact with the skull.

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 03:46:26 pm »
Jan, it is the white cap they give you when you are healing the little white circle cap that snaps into the abutment. it is tight to the top left sideof head cap touches head on one side. I think the sound processor has a longer neck on it that keeps it away from your head.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 11:20:54 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, Mike.

Now that I'm certain you're talking about the white healing cap, is there any reason you want to wear it again?  As I mentioned in my previous post, once my doc removed mine - and the bandage it was holding in place over my site - about a week post op, I never wore it again.  In fact, the day he popped it off, it shot across the exam room and into the corner where he picked it up and promptly threw it in the trash can.  So much for keeping cherished surgical momentos!  ;)

The processor does indeed have a "neck" or "post" on it that keeps it away from the skull, but it's really not that long.

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tamara

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 05:37:59 am »
I kind of accidentally removed mine along with the bandage a day after surgery.  It still all worked out fine.

Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 02:33:12 pm »
I think it was alittle swollen I had my Drs visit last Mon. and she saw small what looked like pimp so she cut it and push on my surgery site and clear stuff can out so she wanted to be safe and put me on antibotics for ten days  :(  . But it feels better know I have been on the med. for 5 days now.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 07:29:40 am by mikjul1 »

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 10:51:59 am »
Mike,

While I can certainly understand your curiousity, I'm not so sure you should be putting the healing cap on unless advised to do so by youir doc.  It just seems to me that it is best to leave the site alone to heal, you might actually be introducing bacteria to the area and causing an infection (?).  One thing you can try though, which I picked up from Jan is that I lightly scratched the abutment and could actually hear the sound in my good ear -- just amazing and kind of fun!  Just make sureyour hands are clean before you touch your abutment.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 12:04:17 pm »
My Dr. last Mon. gave me my Cochlear soft brush and said start using it. To keep the crustys away and twice aday push the clear liquid out until this monday when I see her again it feels beteer today.  ;D  Thanks Wendy for your concern  ;D