Author Topic: Adrienne surgery update  (Read 3963 times)

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
Adrienne surgery update
« on: May 30, 2009, 12:50:30 pm »
It's Adrienne's husband here. She had her surgery on Tuesday, everything went well they preserved the facial nerve completely and suspect that they got the entire tumor. It was very involved with the trigeminal nerve. She has a nasty head ache but we think that will subside with time. She should be home tomorrow.
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

sgerrard

Re: Adrienne surgery update
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 01:14:50 pm »
Excellent. Thank you for updating us on Adrienne. It sounds like things went well.

It is common to have pain problems afterwards, and recommended that she take the pain medications (even when they don't seem needed) to make sure the pain is managed well. The body heals better when it is not stressed by pain.

I hope she makes it home tomorrow, and is feeling better soon.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 02:35:03 pm »
Thank you Adrienne's husband for the very encouraging update on her surgery outcome.  This is splendid news - and much appreciated!  :)  It seems as if her surgery went well and although she has a headache, that can be 'managed' and should subside, so Adrienne should be home and on her way to recovery by Sunday.  Tell her she is both thought of and missed here - and that her AN friends said: "Good Job!"

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 03:23:52 pm »
Thanks for the update on Adrienne.

The headache should go away in time.

I'm glad things went well for her.  Please give her our best and tell her we're anxious for her return to the Forum  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 03:45:34 pm »
Hi,
Thanks a lot for the updates about Adrienne. I'm 10 days post-op myself and I hope both of us will continue to heal day by day. Send her big hugs from me and I hope that the headaches will go away soon. I'm sure everything will be better by the time she get home. Take good care of her.

Hugs from Sweden and Helene   :) :) :) :) :) :)
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 05:31:47 pm »
I'm happy to hear that surgery is behind her and sounds like she will have excellent results.  Lots and lots and lots of rest and TLC!  Thanks for the update!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 06:08:50 pm »
Hi there,

Thank you for the update about Adrienne. Gosh, for an involved nerve and all that poking and prodding, it is no wonder her head hurts right now.  I hope it goes away soon.

She is a postie now.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

moe

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 11:18:54 pm »
Thank you for the update on Adrienne and I'm so happy she is going home tomorrow.
Still baby steps but every day will hopefully be a bit better.
Let us know how she does.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 07:39:44 am »
Good news about Adrienne...and Helene!  Those first few days are a fog as you try to figure out what works and what hurts.  Sleep and meds are the order of the day.  Keep us posted on the recovery as she makes her way back from major surgery.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.