Author Topic: My BAHA surgery is scheduled!  (Read 3428 times)

kma

My BAHA surgery is scheduled!
« on: May 29, 2009, 11:13:30 am »
Have to share my news with everybody....

I did it ~ I finally called my surgeon and scheduled my BAHA surgery.  The big date will be July 29th ~ three days after my birthday...and I think it's a really cool gift to give myself! 

It will be outpatient with local anesthetic and at a newer/prettier hospital in my area.  It's a little farther away from my house than the hospital where I had my AN surgery, but this is where my surgeon is going to be doing his surgeries from now on and hey, if someone is going to screw a bolt into my head ~ why not have it done somewhere pretty!   

I was thinking I'd look a little like Frankenstein ~ but now, I'm going with the Bionic Woman....much cooler!!   ::)

Thanks everybody for answering all my questions and helping me to make my decision! 

Happy day!

~Kathy
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 11:17:55 am by kma »
Retrosigmoid on 02-06-09 by Dr. LaRouere (Michigan Ear Institute) and Dr. Pieper.  Perfect hearing, perfect balance, no tinnitus and no headaches before surgery.  Right SSD, loud tinnitus and crazy headaches after surgery.  BAHA surgery 07-29-09 ~ still working on tune-ups...don't love it ~ YET!!

Kaybo

Re: My BAHA surgery is scheduled!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 12:35:05 pm »
Kathy~
GREAT news!!  I must say I am a bit jealous!  I know that you will do great and love it!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 02:24:10 pm »
Congrads Cathy keep us up to date.  ;D welcome to the Baha club.
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

Sefra22

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 08:20:50 pm »
That's great Kathy!

I had my surgery done at a brand new facility in my area as well. The waiting room was so nice. They had computers for people to use, and a huge TV. But there was also a quiet area were people could sit and read. I was almost bummed when they called me for my surgery ;D It was designed for day surgeries, thereby freeing up space in the big hospital for more major type procedures.

So you can be the bionic woman, my friends are just calling me "Radiohead" which is fine, as I am a fan of the band :D

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 10:19:28 pm »
Yea, Kathy  ;D

Congratulations on a great decision!   ;D

When you get a chance, please PM me your mailing address so I can send you one of Lori and my famous BAHA Recovery Kits.

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kma

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 08:13:49 am »
Hi guys.  Today is the big day at GM ~ wish me and my coworkers luck!!   :o

Kay or Jan...or anyone ~ can you tell me how to use the calendar?  I want to write my BAHA surgery day on it but am not sure how to access.

.....and Jan.....I know I'm a nerd, but I'm so excited (and totally selfish) at the thought of receiving one of yours and Lori's BAHA packages.........it's like being a kid again and waiting for Christmas.    ;D

Happy day everyone. 

Kathy (kma)
Retrosigmoid on 02-06-09 by Dr. LaRouere (Michigan Ear Institute) and Dr. Pieper.  Perfect hearing, perfect balance, no tinnitus and no headaches before surgery.  Right SSD, loud tinnitus and crazy headaches after surgery.  BAHA surgery 07-29-09 ~ still working on tune-ups...don't love it ~ YET!!

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 08:24:16 am »
Kathy,

Congratulations on setting a date for your BAHA surgery!  I know you will be as happy as I was to take this step.  Now that I've had my processor for two months (wow has it really been that long?)  I can say it was the best decision I've ever made.  As the very first recipient of Lori and Jan's BAHA Recovery Kit, I know you will be thrilled with their thoughtful present too.

Best,
Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 01:37:19 pm »
Kathy -

I took the liberty of putting your surgery date on the AN Calendar.

But if you want to change it or something, there is a link at the bottom of Steve Gerrard's profile.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kma

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 07:36:46 am »
Jan~

I found the calendar.  Thanks! 

I tried finding it before ~ I always saw mention of it in posts but never had luck ~ this was much easier!!!  Isn't it amazing
how many surgeries, etc. are on there.  My doctors keep telling me how "rare" these tumors are and I suppose percentage
wise they are ~ but when you look at the calendar ~ it sure seems like there are a lot of us!  Makes me feel better in a way.   

~Kathy

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 08:40:43 am »
Kathy~
I think it is because we are all concentrated in one place - literally from all over the world.  If you scattered that out into the general population it wouldn't be too many!  Isn't it great that we can all chat and be "together" here?

K

PS - What happened with YOUR job yesterday??
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

kma

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 09:20:56 am »
Kay~

I agree, it is great that we can all be in the same place (so to speak).  It's truly been a comfort for me and Dale!

So far, no news on the job front ~ and all of us here are going with the theory that "no news ~ is good news".  : )
We are still keeping our fingers crossed!!

: ) Happy day!

~Kathy

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 03:05:18 pm »
Hi Kathy,
Congrats on the date for the BAHA surgery! I also think it is a great birthday present for yourself to get a bult in the scull  :D  I'm only joking! I am also thinking of BAHA once I'm totally healed after the retrosigmoid I had three weeks ago. I hope the BAHA will help you much and I look forward to reading the updates.

Good luck from Helene   :)
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

kma

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 11:44:37 am »
Thanks Helene.  It's not exactly my dream birthday gift ~ but considering how this year started out.....not a bad gift!!   ;D  I'm hoping it will come with cake & ice cream ~ or at least some flowers from my sweetheart of a husband! 

I've read all your posts and I think you are doing great.  p.s.  I LOVE YOUR HAIR and wish I had the nerve to do something like that myself. 

Happy weekend.  ~Kathy  :D