Author Topic: 24/7 state of dizziness and questions for posties  (Read 1781 times)

tenai98

24/7 state of dizziness and questions for posties
« on: June 22, 2009, 12:54:30 pm »
I'm 11 weeks post op.  I was lucky NOT to have facial paralysis, eye problems, metallic taste ( altho I did have a few days of soap taste), no fullness in the ear, no double vision and only reg.strength tylenol for meds pius steroids.  Now and since surger I have had balance issues and wonky head..plus a low grade headache.  The wonky head has not abatted. Plus since last week Im experiencing a more intense headache. Its in the middle of fore head and it feels like I had a lead weight with the feeling of wanting to fall forward.
I just finished calling the neurosurgeon's office. Now waiting for a call back with appt.  I have accepted the fact that if this is as good as it gets...I"M ALIVE. 
I'm itching to get back to work even if only teaching driver ed inclass. Mind you and  to my astonishment being SSD in not that bad and I've deciede to go back to teachin incar as well.  But with this dizziness its a no go til this iissue is resolved. So my question is, and I understand we all recover at different levels, is how long did it take for your wonky head to dissipitate???
Jo ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: 24/7 state of dizziness and questions for posties
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 02:54:28 pm »
Jo .....

I did not have translab so I can only speak from my experience.  I had no facial or eye problems and no headaches post-op.  I did have temporary double vision (for about a week) and wonkyheadedness.  The balance/disorientation feeling was most pronounced during the first two weeks.  After that, it has gradually abated to a manageable level now at 16 months out.  But I still have occasional spells of the wonky head, especially when I am tired or stressed.  Note:  my situation is a little different because of having no vestibular function as a result of two surgeries.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

moe

Re: 24/7 state of dizziness and questions for posties
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 06:49:09 pm »
Jo,
So sorry to hear about the new symptoms. That AN journey. >:( Sometimes it just sucks. >:(

May just be that you are overdoing it, and your body is telling you in this way. Good call to the doc for an appt.

I have mild disequilibrium and sometimes dizziness as a part of my new life, so it's a matter of just taking things slower.

Are you in vestibular training? And I'm assuming the balance nerve was completely cut with the face nerve?

More frequent rests are in order?
(I'm always thinking of excuses for resting!)
Hope things calm down.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty