Author Topic: Facial Swelling  (Read 9112 times)

Vivian B.

Facial Swelling
« on: May 27, 2009, 05:06:14 am »
Hello Everybody,

For the past week or so I have had some swelling on the side of my AN. I had noticied this sometimes in the past even prior to being diagnosed. I always thought that it was sinus pressure.
Has anyone had this symptom prior to having treatment? Do you think it is AN related?
I welcome any thoughts. Thank you.

Vivian B.
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Vivian B.

Re: Facial Swelling
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 10:54:39 am »
Thanks Phyl for moving this new post. I actually wasn't sure about where to post it.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 01:08:28 pm »
Vivian,

If one looks really closely at my face, they will see I am swollen on the side I have my facial neuroma.  Some days it is more noticeable.  My face also aches.  I'm very gentle when applying make up.  My left lip is also slightly pulled up, my left eye is more buggier and my left nostril looks like it is closed over.  Sometimes it is hard for me to breath through my left nostril.

Hope this helps,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Vivian B.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 03:22:43 pm »
Hi Anne Marie,

Thanks for replying. I can definitely relate to your symptoms. My face feels more like it's been stuffed with cotton balls. Anyway, you look great!

Vivian

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 06:38:34 pm »
You are too kind Vivian.  Wait until you see me in person.  Maybe we can meet up when I see Dr Rutka in July.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

mk

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 06:54:06 pm »
Hi Vivian,

is your face actually swollen, or does it feel swollen? If it is really swollen I have no idea what it would be causing it, it would be probably unrelated to the tumor. But if it is only a feeling, I would suspect that your trigeminal nerve (nerve V) is acting up (mine has been acting up too recently by the way). Given the size and location of your meningioma it is not unlikely that it is affecting this particular nerve, and if it does you may get all sorts of strange sensations. This is something you may want to ask your doctor about this the next time you see him.
I hope that other than that you ar feeling well.
Best regards,
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Vivian B.

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 05:10:34 am »
Hi Marianna,

Thanks for replying. No, it actually looks swollen. I have had it in the past even prior to being diagnosed. It does subside. It could also be from sinuses as I have  had two colds in the past month, and pretty bad ones. When I last saw the Neuro. and surgeon, and they actually checked my face to see if it was still symetrical. I had no swelling at the time. I will ask next time I go.

Anne Marie,

When you come to see Dr. Rutka, let me know what your schedule is like. Would love to see you. I would also  like to meet you Marianna if you are ever in Toronto for any Dr's appts.

Vivian

LisaP

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 05:19:21 am »
Hi Vivian,

No facial swelling, just a lot of "pulling" sensations on my right side of my face, back of head, side of head and neck.  I do feel at times that I have a sore throat?  Any one else?

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Vivian B.

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 11:23:42 am »
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for replying. I also have some of your symptoms, neck and back of head pain even sore throat. Sometimes I even feel pain in the back of my good ear which worries me. I guess it's all part of having something stuck where it should not be!!!!!!!!

Vivian

bell

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 11:53:36 am »
Hi:
I am 6 months post op from retrosigmoid and I definetly have facial swelling and tender pain.  It has gotton better but it does look swollen and talking is more difficult.  I had headaches all weekend and my face is swollen so.. also my head and ear hurt today...I hope all this buisness goes away some day...
My doctor told it may take 2 years to recover form facial nerve damage with 90% recovery.  Not sure if there is anything you can do but wait it out.  Sorry you have pain and hang in there.
Bell   

Vivian B.

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 12:34:16 pm »
Hi Bell,

Thanks for replying and I am sorry to hear you have facial swelling. The good news is it will get better overtime. Be patient and take one day at at time. My facial swelling is a little better this week but comes and goes. I will have to wait it out as there is not much the doctors can do right now. My next MRI will determine growth and possible treatment.   

Vivian

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 05:44:28 am »
Hi I noticed i have facial swelling on my lip am not sure what causes this.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Vivian B.

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 08:10:52 am »
Hi jazzfunkane,

Thanks for replying. I am beginning to think that all these weird symptoms are just a normal part of this process. Keep well.

Vivian

LisaP

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 05:11:15 am »
Hi Vivian,

Glad to know that some of these symptoms are not my imagination.  I too have pain or a funny sensation in my good ear.  Anyone know why this happens to the uneffected side?  Maybe Jim or Steve would know!! 

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Vivian B.

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 11:59:58 am »
Hi Lisa,

I am wondering the same thing. I keep on thinking that it is all related to having a foreign body that is not suppose to be where it is and everything around it is acting up as a result. All the best!

Vivian