Author Topic: Adjusting to loss of hearing  (Read 7563 times)

justpens

Re: Adjusting to loss of hearing
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2006, 09:22:19 am »
regarding loss of hearing:  Does anybody else have anxiety about losing hearing in other ear?  I'm constantly thinking and checking my good ear; am I hearing as well as I was, what if I wake up and can't hear at all etc.  Just lots of compulsive thoughts about my good ear.  It's been a year and I've adjusted well.  Back in the classroom and not any major problems.  Any ideas?

justpens

thecakes

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2006, 01:08:49 pm »
  It is hard to hear everyone.  I am a quite person though.  If I was'nt it would be so diffucult.  I was quite before this big event, and still am, but I would like to hear what is going on around me and I always get lost in the conversation {allways} I feel left out, like when everyone laughs at something being said and I fake it and laugh too.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2006, 04:54:16 pm »
I find it frustrating to always be saying pardon.

I was buying something in a shop the other day and the lady behind the counter had a very soft voice. I had to say pardon a few time until I could see the expression on her face turning a little angry. I then said I am half deaf and she gave a rather disbelieving smurk.

At a work meeting, I try and get their early to strategically place myself in the best spot. I am considering a BAHA unit but need to wait until the outcome of my re-growth first.

I have been rather paranoid about losing hearing in my good ear and haven't gone swimming for a year or so just in case of infection. I have started again but am still worried about it. I guess its a confidence thing. I'd love to hear from others on how they conquer that worry of losing hearing in their good ear.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2006, 06:38:45 am »
For me the anxiety of loosing my hearing in the working ear has never gotten better, it's been 15 years. I don't think about it so often but anytime something effects it I get highly anxious until it passes (infection, wax and things like that). I guess it's only natural, somewhat of a survival thing.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

thecakes

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2006, 08:15:00 am »
   Loosing my hearing in my good ear is something I never think of.  That can send me in a panic.

FlyersFan68

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2006, 08:31:17 am »
My advice... always be ready to protect. If your in a really loud place then leave or pop in a earplug. I try to carry an earplug when I go places but you can't predict loud disturbances. I was over my friends house yesterday and he wanted me to hear something on his new boombox so when he turned it on it was so incredibly loud I had to react immediately by covering up my good ear. It was an accident and he didn't know it would turn on that loud but it bothered me. Things will happen that may make you uncomfortable but it passes. The other day my wife called me at work from her cell phone and upon answereing my phone her voice was so blaring loud and distorted I had no choice but to hang up on her. I have no problems doing that. I'm not trying to be rude only cautious. I'm not gonna carry a conversation when it's hurting my ear. In regards to your question, I also used to worry about my one good ear but we must realize that one good ear is better than two deaf ears and one good ear is not that bad in most cases. Just be ready to protect when needed!