Author Topic: Catlover´s Postie Story  (Read 30559 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Catlover´s Postie Story
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 08:01:32 pm »
Mats,
I know my husband was extremely worried about me and quite nervous in the first few days.  When they released me he looked terrified, but he took amazing care of me at home.  He was patient, supportive, kept track of my pills, drove me wherever, walked with me constantly, really, he was quite wonderful.  We also had friends who came by and hung out with me so he could go running (he didn't want to leave me alone but I was fine), and do other things for himself.  So take care of yourself!!

Helene,
Soon you will feel more like yourself.  Sooner than you think!  Being stubborn is a good trait to have now.  Rest, walk, eat, and get out of the hospital.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

sgerrard

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 08:52:25 pm »
Thanks - yes, I think she knows about the F3D

Nice, I like seeing it boiled down to an abbreviation - very Internet-ish.  :)

Mats, you might like taking a look at this thread: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=9259.0

It is some posts from other caregivers, describing their experience before, during, and after surgery. You may even want to post your own story, it would be valuable for those who will follow.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

largecat

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 12:01:37 am »
Steve, I just stole the idea from Lilan:

Quote from: Lilan
first-three-daysTM

I do think it's good to know that the F3D are really bad - and that it is normal. I sure gives me some peace of mind, I know I cant expect things to get better - yet.

About telling the story of a caregiver, yes - but not now, maybe later, in a month or so. I'm about to leave for the hospital now. We had our first summer thunderstorm tonight, I woke up at 03:00 with a bang. Funny how the human brain seems to process things while sleeping - I was in some kind of dream about surgery and hospitals and headaches when the thunder woke me up...

See you.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 04:03:16 am by largecat »
/mats  - "catlovers" husband

largecat

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 04:16:46 am »
So, todays visit is done. She does not really appreciate my visits as much as I hope - but I understand. She looked better today, some colour back on her cheeks, she moved hands and head a little faster and looked a little more alive, in general.

Still headache, double vision, nausea - lost of painkillers including injection of really heavy stuff. She heard "popping" sounds inside her head and the doctors had told here it was from small air bubbles and that it would go away soon.

She was not sure about the hearing, she told me she thought it was lost - but when I asked the nurse she could not find it in the journals. We'll see. Maybe it's not been examined yet, or maybe it is to early. Not so important

We talked (I talked) a short time, but she wanted to rest most of all, so I'm on my way home again. Maybe, maybe I can bring the kids to see her tomorrow - but I'm not sure. For friends and relatives reading this - she is not ready for visitors or phone calls, yet.

cindyj

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 07:06:46 am »
Hey, Mats - I'm sure she does appreciate your visits, just tough to show any gratitude right now, probably.  I know I did not speak or look at my husband or mother for three days, and didn't want them speaking to me either, but I was somehow glad they were there.  I was out of state for my surgery, so no friends and family were around, but I would not/could not have had any visitors...

But, she'll get through this phase - know it's hard to see her suffer, though.  Tell her to hang in there...you do the same!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 07:23:45 am »
Mats ....

Thanks for the update.  How well I remember the double vision and not wanting to keep my eyes open and struggle to try and focus on my husband's handsome face.  When I would close my eyes, he would stop talking, thinking I was drifting back to sleep.  Because of the drugs and diminished hearing, it was a struggle to try to talk or follow conversation.  But, as Cindy said, I was out of state for my surgery as well so I was grateful when my husband just sat and read a book and I knew he was there.

Our children are all gone from home but I am sure that is a struggle for you ..... needing/wanting to be both places at the same time.  Our thoughts and prayers continue with your whole family.  .... and it will be better soon!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 07:33:31 am »
Hey Mats

thank you for sharing the updates with us. Sounds like she is doing ok... "day by day, inch by inch..." and she's on the way to wellness.  I'm hoping that the kids will visit and hope that you are hanging in there ok. Please take time for yourself, as well.

Continued wellness wishes for speedy recovery!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mk

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 08:28:07 am »
Hi Mats,

on my way to work today I saw the blooming lilacs and thought about you, since you had mentioned them. Like everyone else has said here, the first few days don't even count - I am sure things will improve soon. Hang in there and give all my best wishes to Helene.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

largecat

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 10:51:20 am »
Ok, Helene has shown me a few scary pics on the net from and after AN surgery - so I think you can handle this. I think she is good looking!

This is from day two after the surgery.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 11:24:40 am »
mats, she looks beautiful!!!! thank you for sharing this! She looks great! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 11:43:48 am »
Mats .....

Helene looks wonderful ..... even managed a smile!

Tell her we are thinking of her so much.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2009, 11:45:42 am »
...and it is a smile that goes up on both sides!!  YEA!!  ;D  Continued healing for Helene!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2009, 05:05:53 pm »
Mats -

I too experienced extreme nausea post op - and I had double vision.  The good news is both these issues went away in time.  Helene will progress a little bit day by day.

Her picture looks very good - and as Kay pointed out, the symmetrical smile is wonderful.

Thank you so much for the updates.

Please give Helene my best  ;D  - and take care of yourself; surgery is a trying time for caregivers too.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009, 08:34:39 pm »
Hi Mats,
I hope the visit with taking your kids to see Helene goes well. How old are your kids? I have three teenagers: 19, 18, 15  girl ,boy,girl. The oldest is autistic. I thought she would handle the hospital visit the worst and be more upset, and the other two (18 and 15) would be just fine. It was the other way around! My oldest wasn't faized; my other two teenagers were more upset seeing me all bandaged and out of it. They didn't act upset, they just sat there quietly and didn't want to return to the hospital when my husband tried to take them again. Anyway, you never know with kids - and that phase was short lived (too bad... they cleaned the house a lot better and were more hellpful then!)  I hope your kids will be a comfort to Helene and it will help them to see her as well.

As far as not seeming like she cares if you're visiting... when I went in the hospital it was right before Super Bowl weekend. I love American football, and I was so sure that I'd make friends at the hospital and we could all sit in someone's room and watch the Super bowl together, and I'd be in party mode. Or I'd have a lot of my friends in my hospital room and we'd all enjoy the game together. I was sooooo out of it. I didnt' give a hoot about the stupid super bowl. And when friends visited for the first 4 or so days, I was so out of it, I just vaguely remember it. I'm sure they thought I didnt' care, and maybe I didn't seem to at the time, but looking back I'm so appreciative.   I believe Helene will be better soon. Her picture is great! We're happy to see her post op.

Take care - thanks for keeping us posted.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

largecat

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2009, 02:30:36 am »
Life goes on, yes.... And with teenage kids it's an adventure everyday. This weekend, the kids in the age 14, 16 and 18 (boy, girl, boy) are doing the following:

Oldest son Tim (18) is on a VW-meeting http://www.bugpeople.se/airmeet/ with his cousin and their girlfriends in his old VW-bus. Hippie culture is not dead! The VWs have a strong tradition in our family, and Helene actually got a VW Bug -65 Cal looker. She can tell you more about it when she's back online again.

Daughter Elinor (16) is active in a choir and also traning ju-jutsi. Today I'm with her, she is graduating for a new belt colour. Dont ask me to explain the system with colours - lets just say she is in the carreer. Anyway, I'm with her today. She is also training for her drivers license, and we did an hour of practice driving on the way here.

Youngest son, Oliver (14) is the rebel in the group. He's is testing the limits all the time...  (Helene will say it's my fault...). Tonight he was in a LAN-party all night, drinking Jolt cola and playing Warcraft and other games with some friends. So, he came hom 07AM...  and went to bed at once.

So, I guess this is "in the middle of life", right? The daily visit to the hospital will take place in the evening - and we'll see if it's just me or if one or two of the children will follow.