Author Topic: Sudden new vertigo  (Read 4560 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Sudden new vertigo
« on: May 11, 2009, 08:49:46 am »
I thought I was over the worst of the dizziness following AN surgery almost 15 months ago.  The first week following surgery I had frequent attacks of the world spinning (only mild accompanying nausea).  After that I would describe it as attacks of disorientation (no nausea), especially when turning my head quickly in any direction.  I had several months of first physical therapy and then specifically vestibular therapy and greatly improved ..... to only seldom attacks of disorientation.

All of a sudden two days ago I woke up with my world spinning and nauseous.  It has continued whenever I stand up or turn quickly in any direction.

Naturally, my paranoia has kicked in and I am concerned about sudden regrowth (my one year MRI was uncertain about regrowth or scar tissue).  Anyone think it could be AN related?  Or some other unknown health issue?

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Cheryl R

Re: Sudden new vertigo
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 08:55:24 am »
There can be labyrinthitis which can cause terrible vertigo with the sudden onset of it.       I have seen an occ person in the hospital with it.    Can take several days to get over.              Can be some other viral causes.              Might have it checked out if keeps on.               Plus the 2 yr old wouldn't help.         They keep on the go.   
                                                             Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Cynaburst

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 12:14:58 pm »
I have also been having some mild vertigo and I am 7.5 years post surgery.  I am having  a CT scan on Wednesday to check it out as I am unable to have MRIs due to pacemaker/implantable defibrillator.  Mine started about a month ago also very suddenly.  I will let you know what happens with my scan.  From what I have read, it might be residual issues from the surgery, a virus, or a regrowth is also possible.  Let's both keep our fingers crossed.

Feel free to send me a private message if you want to compare.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 12:32:18 pm »
Thanks for the support .... Cheryl picked up on the fact that we have been caring for our 2-year-old granddaughter for over a week ..... and yes, I did think that could be a major contributing factor.  However, the sudden onset two days ago and no decrease in symptoms since is what has me concerned.  Here's hoping it is a viral thing and will leave as quickly as it came!!

Clarice

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 12:49:27 pm »
Clarice -

Hopefully things will get back to normal on their own but don't let this go --  if it continues see your doc.  Keep us posted.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Keri

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 09:53:14 pm »
i agree.
Take care, Clarice, I hope it goes away soon and/or you find out a cause (and that it's nothing bad).
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 09:32:42 am »
Hey, Clarice...sorry about your sudden vertigo attcack!  I know how awful and debilitating it can be.  Please keep us updated about it.  Are you going to see your doctor?

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 03:35:17 pm »
Hi All ....

We returned back home this afternoon, after almost two weeks visiting family (mostly with a 2-year-old in tow).  Still have our precious Siena and she really is an extremely well-behaved child, but she does take more energy than I usually expend!  We take her home on Saturday so I hope by then this vertigo has cleared!

What is so odd is that I did not have anything like this for months and I surely was this tired before.  If I am not considerably better in the morning I think I will call my ENT.

Thanks for all of your care and expressed concerns.  It really helps to know that all of you can identify with the fear.

Clarice

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 04:09:25 pm »
it may be a virus i had a attack like this and it took about 6 weeks to clear
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Cynaburst

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 08:08:04 pm »
I also wanted to add that it has been 4 weeks for me and today I had a CT scan of the IAC with contrast (instead of an MRI which I can't have) and it was clean so apparently I either have a virus or benign positional vertigo.  I have read of several ANers having this problem even some years after surgery.  Maybe we are just prone to it.

chica07

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 06:09:56 pm »
Hello!
I had sudden balance issue the first time about one month ago but it disappear after 1 week.  I am post op 21 months.
But it started back again 3 days ago after did some swimming in the pool, which I thought it was a good idea at first for my health.
yeah, I am getting paranoid also about regrowth of the acoustic neuroma.  I do wish it is just something minor.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 08:09:23 pm »
I know my paranoia kicks in when something odd crops up ..... like the attack of vertigo I had three weeks ago.  It lasted about 7-10 days (gradually getting better the last few days) so I am thinking it must have been a viral thing.  I had not had it before and no sign of it again since.  So, I did not call my ENT when it began to let up.

Since my one-year MRI was uncertain as to scar tissue showing or possible regrowth, it did not take much to set my imagination going.  Thankfully that crisis passed.

Clarice