Author Topic: Just when things are getting back to normal something else comes up  (Read 4924 times)

wendysig

Re: Just when things are getting back to normal something else comes up
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 04:32:36 pm »
I had my first PT appointment today and it went much better than I anticipated --no painful exercises.  The therapist I had my consultation with was very nice and suggested starting out slowly with stretching  exercises rather than the harder ones I expected.  Things are looking up!  I also always thought I had fat knees until today, but he told me it was actually swelling -- who knew?

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 08:38:38 am »
Dawn,

I know you haven't been around in a while and had been meaning to PM you tp see what is going on with that thing in your head.  I hope you are okay and have found a resolution or at least some better way of dealing with the symptoms your tumor is giving  you.  Did the docs ever decide if it is an AN or lipoma?  If so, what is their advice?

I am actually on the other side of the Island (I live in Huguenot)  and the YMCA on Richmond Avenue, while not around the cornere, is closer much to me than the JCC on Manor Road.  I haven't gotten over there yet (things have been a little crazy around here lately) but understand the Y also offers a discount to members of the FDNY (my husband is with FDNY) so I hope this means family members too -- every little bit helps.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Dawn

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 05:32:17 pm »
Hi Wendy,

How is PT going for you?  I have heard of that group although I don't know much about who works there these days.  Hopefully you are getting better and your husband too.

As for me, no they still don't know which type it is...AN or Lipoma....I have to go for another MRI in August.  I have an appointment at Cornell on MOnday with Dr. Steig b/c I also have Chiari I malformation and they think that may have been the cause of most of my symptoms so I need to follow up with Neurologist for that and see what they can do for the headaches.

I have some balance issues especially when making sudden turns or trying to walk and talk to someone behind me....lol and of course the Headaches are every single day.  So I'm hoping to get some good news on MOnday.

Keep me posted on your therapy.  If they don't fix you up I know 2 great therapists by the outer bridge that help a lot of people.

Talk to you soon
Dawn
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Also diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation - looking into options for that

wendysig

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 01:29:03 pm »
Hi Dawn,

PT is going very well.  Vernie is great and amazingly, after only a few sessions I actually have gotten some relief from the pain in my knees.  Much of the edema is gone and I think that is one reason my level of pain is more tolerable, although how I feel also depends on the weather to some degree.  I also mentioned to him that my right hip sticks out a bit due to another old injury and both he and the PA at the doctor's office (Dr. Reilly -- the PA is Tom Doty) PA agree that I will need more physical therapy for that even though it doesn't hurt, they feel it is causing me to put more pressure on my left leg and aggravating my already troubled (my left knee is much  worse than my right knee)  knee.   I've been vigilant about doing my exercises and Vernie said my knee already looks straighter than it did when he first saw me, so I assume that is also why I am feeling better.    I have to say that, ironically,  my AN has helped me deal witih my knee problems.  If I learned anything in the past year,  it's that patience is the key to dealing with many problems and being vigilent and having the determination to accomplish  something  is invaluable.   Celebrating even small victories, such as  even slight pain relief, are rewards in themselves that keep me going.

As for Rob, the insurance company says he has exhausted his benefits for his back problems (they only allow a certain number  -- whatever OrthoNet determines is needed -- of visits in a 60 day period for any given problem) but he is appealing that.  If that fails, Vernie has suggested that he come at least once a week for treatment and to learn exercises that will help his pain.  One session is the same cost as two co-payments, so this would certainly be reasonable and I have urged him to do it.  Hopefully he will.

I hope you get some good answers and relief from your headaches.  Do you know how a chiari malformation is treated?  Good luck on Monday and let me know how you are and what the docs have to say.

Best wishes,
Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Dawn

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 09:45:28 pm »
Hi Wendy,

so glad to hear your doing better.  Dr. Reilly and Tom Doty are both in the group that I work for, all the patient's like Tom a lot, he is very approachable and takes the time to answer the questions. 

I'm not too sure how the Chiari is treated I saw there is a surgery or I think just monitoring it...I will find out on Monday when I go see Dr. Steig.  Hopefully he will have some answers for me as this is the 2nd time I'm seeing him....the first time he never addressed the Chiari and only talked about the AN (which who knows if its an AN or a Lipoma....lol)  Anyway I look forward to Monday and praying for some help with the headaches.

I'll keep you posted and keep me posted on your therapy progress....glad its working for you

Talk to you soon
DAwn
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Also diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation - looking into options for that