Author Topic: GK Only data  (Read 6219 times)

Jeepers

Re: GK Only data
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 05:46:11 am »
Thanks for your post, Deb. Glad to hear the hubby is doing better. Looks like we're both in the same decision-making boat, huh? I've got an appt this Friday with the neurosurgeon who would be involved if I opt for surgery. Did you say you've met with both sides - surgeons and radiology docs? Other than the House recommendation, did anyone else tell you what their advice would be?

Unfortunately, I understand from the docs pt of view that in many/most cases there is no absolute "right" decision. When I asked Dr. Battista what his recommendation was - since he did both procedures, he said the typical, "I can't make that decision for you" as agewise (57) I was right on the border of reason to go either way. He said if I was in my 40's he would definitely recommend surg over GK. When I pressed him later in our conversation, he said if he had to choose, he would opt for surg because of my desire to rehab my balance. He said that with surg there are "short term problems, but long term improvement" over radiation. He said balance would be bad the first few weeks, then I would start to recover on my own, and then get better with physical therapy.

(sigh) Wait and see was SO much easier!   :-\
Diagnosed 2003-right side-1cm AN
Wait and watch for 6 yrs; 2009 showed growth w/balance issues
Translab 7/9/09 - Drs. Battista/Kazan (Hinsdale IL); SSD
Recovering well!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 12:19:25 pm »
He said that with surg there are "short term problems, but long term improvement" over radiation. He said balance would be bad the first few weeks, then I would start to recover on my own, and then get better with physical therapy.

This is generally the case.  You may not even need physical therapy - I just did the vestibular exercises he gave me pre and post op and that worked well for me.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 08:26:39 pm »
When I asked Dr. Battista what his recommendation was - since he did both procedures, he said the typical, "I can't make that decision for you" as agewise (57) He said that with surg there are "short term problems, but long term improvement" over radiation. He said balance would be bad the first few weeks, then I would start to recover on my own, and then get better with physical therapy.

(sigh) Wait and see was SO much easier!   :-\

My understanding is that the dura  in our brains change in our sixties which is why when I met with a neurosurgeon (at the time the doc was 68) said he would do radiation over surgery.  But since I was 45 at the time, he said he would rec surgery.

Regarding the doc's short term problems but long term improvement comment...  If he is meaning that after surgery a person "typically" heals and then knows what type of problems he/she will have to deal with within six months, then I agree. My doctors have told me that the side effects for the long haul are for the most part known in the short term.  With radiation treatment, the symptoms may take up to two years to show up.. for example hearing may not be lost until the second year.  In this case the short term does not always reflect the side effects for the long haul.

All the best.  Once you decide on your treatment and your doctor, a heavy load will lift.  It is this part of the journey which gets jumbled at times because of the great options we have as AN patients.

Kate

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:36:59 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/