Author Topic: Just back from vacation and symptoms are screamin'  (Read 1056 times)

MissMolly

Just back from vacation and symptoms are screamin'
« on: May 07, 2009, 12:29:12 pm »
Hi All,
After a great AN brunch in Worcester (believe me, it was wonderful to touch base with you all!) and a week long cruise, I've come back with screaming symptoms.  The tinnitus has become a constant roar and the vertigo has increased substantially.  I've already missed two days of work this week.  It was pouring rain this morning and then suddenly stopped (so I thought).  It hadn't stopped, I just rolled over and covered my non AN effected ear and couldn't hear the rain.  Sooo, I think my hearing on the AN side is deteriorating more.   I've decided to move ahead with surgery to get this thing out (saw Dr. Martuza Wednesday before I left).  If anything, it would give me the best chance of preserving hearing in that ear since the tumor is still small.

Does anyone have any advice, experience, suggestions, funny jokes, about vertigo and AN?  I've been pretty cheerful about this thing thus far, but this is starting to weight me down.

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

Miss Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

kabby

Re: Just back from vacation and symptoms are screamin'
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 01:01:38 pm »
The weather has been pretty horrible here, too.  It's been raining for 11 days, with forecast for at least 2 more! 

My joke for the day to hopefully cheer you up--purely fictitious:  When we went to meet the neurosurgeon, my husband asked the following:  "Dr., will my wife be able to (and you can fill your own thing in here) clean the house and cook meals?"  The Dr. answers "Why, yes she will most definitely."  The husband answers:  "That's great--she never did before!"

Today, I was trying to do some yoga and in doing a very simple balancing pose, I fell.  Lucky, the floor is soft and I was alone--it must have looked kind of silly.  I didn't realise how "off" my balance was.  I imagine that continuing practice will enhance the balance issues which can only help before surgery and during recovery. 

Single sided deafness has quite a few advantages including the ability to fall back to sleep easily when it's raining or storming.  Keep looking at the bright side!  Sunny weather is on it's way.

Right side AN 2.8 x 1.8  SSD
Diagnosed 2003-Watch & wait until 3/09
Looks like it's gonna be translab

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 02:30:35 pm »
Hi, Molly ~

It was nice meeting you, too, at the AN Brunch in Worcester, last month.  :)  My vertigo was quite mild pre-diagnosis/surgery so - no advice or jokes.  However, I'm certain others that have been affected by vertigo as a symptom will have lots to offer.  I was sorry to learn about your symptoms reasserting themselves and I hope you can undergo your surgery sooner rather than later.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MissMolly

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 07:43:41 pm »
Thanks, Jim.  I did have a great time meeting you and everyone else.  Made me feel like there's safety in numbers.

I have requested the surgery to be done as soon as can be scheduled.  Then the chips will fall where they may.

Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.