Author Topic: Wii fit  (Read 4674 times)

allegro17

Wii fit
« on: May 05, 2009, 06:42:06 am »
Did any of you use this to help with balance/mobility post-op?  I am a week out today and really achy - thinking some use of my muscles other than walking would be good for me but don't want to overdo it yet.  I am really dizzy so also thinking this might really be able to help with that.

Laura

cindyj

Re: Wii fit
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 06:48:14 am »
Hey, Laura!  Yes, there's a whole thread about using the Wii somewhere here...I'm running out the door, but will look when I get back if someone doesn't get to it first.  Many of us used the Wii very soon post-op and found it to be very helpful...and fun!  I haven't been on it much lately as I pretty quickly returned to my regular excercise/sport stuff.  But, it was great early on to feel that I was at least doing something physical.
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 07:06:55 am »
Laura,
You are only a week out, you need to take care of you and while walking is great, resting is what you really need.  Don't try to be Wonder Woman!!  Take time to take care of you.  I use the Wii Fit and have had better results with it than with a PT!!  Please, please take care of you and don't do too much too soon.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 07:23:19 am »
Laura,     Don't push yourself to be active to prove that you will be normal again.      The new normal does come in time.       
Are you drinking enough fluids?        Are you on steroids?                    You might see if taking ibuprofen would help the muscle aches but would need to check if that is ok to do.                        Over doing now might make the dizziness worse.
Are you spinning dizzy or the weird head feeling?              Right now is a hard time post op.
                                                                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 11:01:08 am »
Actually, there are several threads about the Wii, here are a couple of them:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7919.0

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7450.0

Of course, as Cheryl and Brenda point out, take it easy and go at an easy pace to start...

Enjoy,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 11:08:13 pm »
I've been using my Wii Fit a lot and the yoga breathing and stretching was very helpful to me at first just because of all the sitting I did.  Now I am finding that my balance is better than before surgery!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

cin605

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 09:10:39 am »
I am saving for a wii.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 09:15:35 am »
I'm a big fan of the WiiFit and of yoga.  As Anissa pointed out, you get very stiff laying in the hospital bed and yoga stretching can be a great way to lossen up tight muscles.  As for the WiiFit, I love it!  I didn't get mine until about 9 months after surgery but after using it for only a few weeks, I could see a difference in my balance.  I used a stability ball and Bosu ball after surgery, both helped but you have to be careful not to fall off!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

JudyT

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 05:42:15 pm »
I have WiiFit and sports programs..........now need to get grand son over here to help set me up. I have been told they are great and so looking forward to using them. My sister uses it every morning and raves about it. She is an avid golfer with joint/muscle pain and says she would not be able to play without it. Gonna give it a go.....what can it hurt?
Judy