Author Topic: Disgusted and uncertain about what to do.......  (Read 7630 times)

grega

Re: Disgusted and uncertain about what to do.......
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 10:56:14 am »
Melissa, I echo the others' sentiments .... specially Clarice, who said go to all your doctors and be aggressive on seeking answers.  Only don't let any of them take away your plastic baggie holding the evidence.  You might want to consider seeking advice from an attorney on this one.

Best to ya!
Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 11:55:03 am »
At the least this is a medical error....  you should be compensated one way or another ! (attorney sounds good..)
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 12:19:16 pm »
I'm so horrified by this!  I reeeeeally hope that when you get to the root of this and make sure it's all out-that your sinus issues go away.

I can only imagine how you're feeling right now, and I'd be wanting some answers (and relief!) FAST!

Hope you're on the road to recovery soon....

Adrienne

3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 12:59:51 pm »
Ew!  You definitely should raise some cane about that!  It could very well explain what has been going on iin your sinuses.  Go get 'em!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Melissa778

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 02:40:10 pm »
Just got back from seeing my regular GP....she of course really didn't say much....didn't undertand how it went unnoticed.  but she also doesn't know how that could come from my surgical site being that my ear drum is intact and she didn't know how it could come from the surgical site unless my ear drum was perforated????  I think she took a more "political" stand point on the whole issue and left it up to my surgeon to explain.   She did say I have scarring on my ear druma nd that at one tiem it must have been perforated.  When I saw my ENT a month ago when I got new antibiotics he never even looked in that ear.... I have not contacted there office yet as I am seeing my other ENT tomorrow.  She at first seemed to insinuate that it could be from a q-tip until I showed the piece to her.  She expressed her concern, however had no real answers for me.  She gave me xanax and told me to go home and rest until I see the ENT tomorrow.  SO I still have no answers and am just more and more frustrated by the hour.

SO anyone who can assist me in understanding the whole AN translab surgery.....where else in my head, sinus cavity, or ear could this have come from??  My doc really had no idea where it came from?

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

alwaysthere

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 03:00:38 pm »
Melissa,

I agree with everyone else. Don't back down from this and don't let the Dr's run over you. Sounds to me like the one you went to today was just covering her butt. What did she think you did, put this in your own ear? Things are left behind sometimes and this is one of them. I also agree that you don't want to let go of the bag and that you might want to talk to a lawyer.

Good luck and hopefully this takes care of your sinus problems.

Patty
Diagnosed 1/09 1.6cm left side
5/09 2cm
hearing & balance problems
Surgery Date June 25, 2009 St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Mn
Surgery went great, can still hear!!!!

"This too shall come to pass and life will go on"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 03:29:01 pm »
Melissa -

I suck at anatomy, and I'm definitely not a doctor, but I'm imagining that the gauze was put into your ear from the outside during - or right after - your AN surgery.  I don't believe it could have come from inside your head and worked it's way through your ear canal.  But I could be totally wrong about this.

I would definitely bring this issue to the attention of your AN surgeons - and as everyone else said - don't let go of the bag with the "evidence". 

I can't believe that with all the ear/sinus problems you have been having that your ENT never physically looked into your ear  :o  I'd give him a call also.

I am so sorry you are having to go through all of this.  Keep your chin up.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 05:16:08 pm »
Holy cow, Melissa!  That is just awful!  I tend to agree with everyone else here that it sounds like someone, somewhere along the way goofed big time.  And, I have to wonder if the gauze may have been harboring the infection, too.  I know you won't back down until you get answers.

You probaby already know this, but since you have been on antibiotics so much, your body is most likely developing an immunity to them.  I have had seven infections (various) since surgery and have been on that many different antibiotics.  When I questioned my GP as to why I seem to be getting infected by every stinking thing that comes along, he told me that antibiotics, when used regularly actually suppress your immune system creating a "perfect storm" for getting more infections.  He referred to it as the great Catch 22 of antibiotic drugs.  Now, I am sure that this was an oversimplified explanation - but I can tell you that I haven't had so many infections in the last 10 years as I've had in the last 10 months. 

Try to make sure that you are feeding your body lots of very nutritious foods, things that will help your body's immune system get back to 100%. 

Please keep us all posted - this is just shocking.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

klangel

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 06:11:11 pm »
are we all to understand that it was NOT a doctor who stuffed your ear with gauze? perhaps then it was the gauze fairy! i think an attorney would be in order about now. i cant believe it is such a mystery. someone is covering for someone! unacceptable since they arent the ones who have had to suffer all this time! def hang on to that evidence!  kerri

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 06:35:12 pm »
Oh man.  I echo everyone else here when I say this is awful.  Can't wait to hear what the ent has to say.  Keep us posted.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

LADavid

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 06:49:33 pm »
Melissa -- I am quite sure you will find the doctors all defending each other and not owning up to any admission of guilt. (Q-Tip! Whata ____!)  One thing I would do immediately, is document the gauze in a photo.  I don't know if there is something else that can be done to document it -- but make sure you have additional evidence.  And like Kerri said, don't let that gauze out of your sight.

Now here's a question for you that you're going to have to answer for yourself.  What do you want out of all this?  If you just want the doctor to fess up -- he's not going to do it.  That would open the door to malpractice.  If you just want to scream at him, have at it.  But if you want to be compensated for pain and suffering and have the doctor found guilty, you need a lawyer.  I'm sure you could find a lawyer who will at least consult with you and let you know your options.  And I'm sure you know, those infections could have at drastic results.  I'm not suggesting you do this, but here's what I would do if I wanted to pursue this legally.  I would go straight to a lawyer and let them advise how to handle this -- that is if you don't just want to scream at your doctor.

I am so sorry you had to go through all this.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

grega

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 06:56:04 pm »
Melissa, if this situation seems a bit overwhelming to you .... as it does to many of us .... strongly suggest that you have a good friend tag along with you to appts w/ your docs.  That way, as you listen and question, a friend can take notes "for the record".

Also if and when the time is right, suggest you contact an attorney who is familiar with med'l malpractice.  If necessary, friends might be able to help you find one who will fight for you.  Your friends herein might agree with this.

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 07:08:40 pm »

And secondly......I wonder if there is more, and if there is if it is attributing to my sinus blockage and infection?  And how do they find out if there is more???

Melissa

Melissa,

You seem worried that there might be more.  I wonder if "foreign material"  (if there were to be more) would show up in a scan of sorts of the head.. You might ask the ENT tomorrow. However, for peace of mind it seems unlikely that there would be two pieces of gauze.

So if I read your first post correctly, you had surgery a year ago May and gamma knife in Oct/November.  I am surprised no one noticed it in the fall during your gamma knife.  Ironically, your infections coincide with your gamma knife procedure rather than after your surgery which is also interesting.

I agree with David that it will be unlikely for any one of them to "admit" any fault or it would open a can of worms. 

I hope you feel relief and that the infections go away!

Kate
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 07:22:26 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

sgerrard

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 10:27:54 pm »
Melissa,

I will look on the bright side, and suggest that surely this gauze has been the cause of your troubles. Now that it is out, your sinus can heal up at last. I have no advice on the  legal implications. I would just focus on getting that infection gone for good. I do think that with translab, enough of the inner and middle ear is removed that it could be left in from the surgery and get into the canal.

I hope that you will finally start to feel better now.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 02:27:29 am »
interested to hear how you get on, keep us postedx
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06