Author Topic: Trigeminal shocking is unbearable  (Read 8997 times)

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
Re: Trigeminal shocking is unbearable
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 08:42:05 pm »
This gives me something else to think about.  I've avoided the thought of surgery (trans-lab or retro-sigmoid) because of the hearing loss associated with it.  Adrienne, did you lose the hearing in the affected ear?

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 08:54:16 pm »
I definitely lost hearing, but not all of it.  They're amazed at the frequencies I retained  (for now?), but I lost significant volume.  I'm thrilled to have kept hearing though, as I was told it was very unlikely.
I'll have an official hearing test in a couple of weeks and will have a better idea then of what is left.

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Cheryl R

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 06:59:16 am »
Hearing loss on one side is not the end of the world.     I do know some will depend on your job also.       I lost mine before my 2001 surgery and didn't even realize it had went all the way.       I knew I was having some problems.               I was told by the first ENT I ever saw if could have a tumor and he said I just get anxious.         So I kind of ignored it more than I should have.    I was also planning to go on a trip and was not wanting to miss it so also ignored things.                  In the long run I wouldn't have been better off since eventually was found to have NF2 in time and more surgeries on the rt side and one on the left.
                                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 07:58:09 pm »
I can say I completely understand. My TN is why I'm having surgery. It has calmed down a bit to where I could tolerate it....but tonight my goodness....It hurts. Ugh...I sure hope surgery gets rid of this. Its painful.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012