Author Topic: Taping the eye at night  (Read 20269 times)

moe

Re: Taping the eye at night
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 09:52:23 am »
Yes, Thanks ANGIE and glad you kept your eye closed NANCY ;)
Good idea about the medipore tape.I may try some, and may even be able to borrow some from work!
<Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Tamara

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 10:26:18 am »
Don't know if this will help anyone, but my dr gave me a procedure to use when taping - he said that anyone who tapes their eye ought to do it this way:  pull the outside corner of the eye to the outside until the eye is pulled closed.  THEN place the tape diagonally (of all things!) across both eyelids from the inside on the top lid towards the outside on the bottom.  I no longer have eye issues, but this worked very well for me.

Hope that made sense, and maybe can be helpful...

Best wishes,
Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Kaybo

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 10:37:40 am »
Tamara~
Did he specify what kind or size of tape??

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Tamara

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 02:22:45 pm »
No particular size, but it was cloth medical tape.  The first night in the hospital the staff used some nasty opaque plastic tape and just taped it vertically.  I think I pulled out all my eyelashes the next morning (just to complete the look I had going). That didn't work at all and the dr was quite ticked that no one had showed me how to do it "properly".

I wish all you "tapers" much success - may you all not need it some day!

Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

moe

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 03:09:04 pm »
Don't know if this will help anyone, but my dr gave me a procedure to use when taping - he said that anyone who tapes their eye ought to do it this way:  pull the outside corner of the eye to the outside until the eye is pulled closed.  THEN place the tape diagonally (of all things!) across both eyelids from the inside on the top lid towards the outside on the bottom.  I no longer have eye issues, but this worked very well for me.

No one has EVER told me about the correct way to tape the eye shut. Thanks Tam!!!! :) It's only been almost 3 years since my surgery.
I will try that.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 08:53:39 pm »
Hi Nancy,
I have wanted to post here because I have been taping my eye for almost a year. I am in a bit of a rush right now but will get all  of my stuff and post tomorrow.
Sweet Dreams
Michelle  ;)
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.