Author Topic: question on BAHA. Wear and tear?  (Read 1830 times)

tenai98

question on BAHA. Wear and tear?
« on: April 22, 2009, 05:17:54 am »
As with everything else what is the wear and tear like on the BAHA?  With snappin it on and off, the thread must wear down??? How often does one have to change processor or the abutment. As it graphs to the bone, can it ever be removed incase advance in medical technology makes bionic ears????
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: question on BAHA. Wear and tear?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 06:01:12 am »
Jo -

I only had my BAHA implant a year ago, but as far as I know wear and tear is good.

There are many on this forum who have had a BAHA for years - like Sam Rush, joef, and ellis - and have experienced no issues.

I don't believe the thread wears down, because there really isn't a thread.  I supposed it's possible for the attachment on the processor (Divino or Intenso) to come off, but in that case you'd just get a new processor or have yours repaired.

The abutment remains in your head and doesn't have to be changed.  The processor can be changed if you need a stronger one (for example to move from a Divino to an Intenso) and I'm sure there are cases where the processor gets damaged.  But with proper care that shouldn't happen. 

If you ever don't want the BAHA anymore you have two options.  Have your doc remove the part of the abutment that sticks out of the skull - and leave the stem intact (I believe someone on the forum just did this, but I can't recall who) - or you can just stop wearing the processor and eventually your skin will grow over the abutment.

The nice thing about the BAHA is that if technology changes - processors get smaller or even better than they currently are - it's very easy to just purchase a new processor.  Cochlear is smart enough to make all the attachments on their processors universal, so no matter what processor you have it will attach to the standard abutment in your head.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

Re: question on BAHA. Wear and tear?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 10:11:43 am »
I agree with Jan -- I don't think there's a big "wear and tear" issue with a BAHA. Lots of children wear BAHAs, and the devices seem to hold up quite well in that rough and tumble age group. I treat mine with the same good care and attention I give my contact lenses, and so far it's doing fine!

I'm guessing, but I think that adult AN "veterans" may be a minority, albeit a growing one, in the BAHA wearer universe. The BAHA user forum that's based in the UK is populated mostly by individuals (or their parents) who have an incredible array of physical challenges which are helped by BAHAs. As I've mentioned before, it is extremely sobering to read some of these accounts. Those of us who basically just have "one bad ear" and not much else wrong with us are very, very fortunate.

I'm looking forward to attending the BAHA event being sponsored by the New Jersey Chapter of the ANA this weekend, and will report back with any helpful information I find out.

And, Jan, congratulations on, and thank you for, your record number of forum postings!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ