Author Topic: BAHA warranty  (Read 16240 times)

lori67

Re: BAHA warranty
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 09:19:08 am »
I went to my audiologist last week just for a quick once-over and fine-tuning before we move.  He was looking at my chart and asked how many times I'd been in to the repair clinic they have there to have my processor fixed.  I told him I'd never had to have it repaired.  He was shocked and said that if I make it about another month without having any need for repair, I'd set a new record!  Vanderbilt is supposedly the second largest supplier of BAHA's in the country, so they see a lot of them, but I guess people must be careless with them or something.

I even told him about dropping it into the chest freezer, onto the pavement, onto the tile floor, knocking it off a few times doing something stupid...

Maybe my doctor knows what a hazard I am and ordered the super heavy duty model!   :D

And my audiologist wasn't sure what the prize was for setting the record....I hope it's something good!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

grega

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 09:36:40 am »
Lori ..... mon dieu, you seem to drop your baha a lot.  Vision I get is that of a smiling, gymnastic, lady doing all sorts of kung-fu flips and movements that would make your baha fly off!  Glad your baha has been good to you to last thru all your gyrations .... that's a baha-haha!!   ;D

Cochlear must have changed their warranty period (now 2-yr)  .... but it's worth double-checking for peace of mind.

Wishing you and family a safe trip! 
Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

lori67

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 11:59:15 am »
Greg,

I like that vision much better than the actual one - yours would make you think I was actually graceful! We can just pretend your vision is accurate!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 04:47:27 pm »
Hey, Lori, I was kind of buying into Greg's vision until you told us otherwise  ;D

I've never done kung-fu flips - even on a good day - but I've knocked my BAHA off 3 times.  Well, actually my son knocked it off for me once; and I knocked it off the other 2 times.  It does happen.  No damage done, thankfully.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 04:48:56 pm »
Lori~
Didn't you tell me you did gymnastics through high school??  Seriously... ::)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

grega

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 12:33:47 pm »
Darn, Lori ...... no flips or gyrations .... but perhaps I brought a little laugh to your day.  Sounds as if Jan & K  did a bit of smilin at that vision too!   ;D  ;) ;D

Got a Divino tester yesterday and have been trying it in diff situations, and will do so for a week.  I had tried the Intenso couple weeks ago.  This time I didn't get the box w/ users manual.  So instead of trying to ask the audiologist or ENT doc (impossible to contact them  :-\), here's my question for you Divino-ers .... which position on that little switch is for the directional mic?  I do notice an increase in power in the 'up' position, so I'm curious about the dir'l mic.

Thanks! Greg
ps .... some day, I'll divulge my little mishap  :o  :-X  with the D-tester .... but it still works real well ....... WHEWWWWWWW   !!!!!!!!!!!!!
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 03:16:08 pm »
Greg -

this is going to sound pretty stupid, but I'm really not sure - and I like the directional microphone.

I usually flip it one way and if I don't like the sound I'm getting, then I just flip it the other  ::)

Can you tell I'm not very technical?  Heck, I can't even program my VCR  :D

Lori will probably have a more helpful answer. 

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 03:42:00 pm »
The dirctional mic does it plug into the divino or is it built into the processor.
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2009, 06:29:09 pm »
The directional microphone is built into the processor.

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2009, 07:19:57 pm »
ok
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

lori67

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2009, 08:55:42 pm »
Directional - Down.

But I'm like you Jan, I just move the switch to where it sounds best at that moment. I know, that's highly technical.

Lori

wendysig

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 05:44:02 am »
Jan and Lori,

My BAHA waranty is definitely two years too.  I was pretty sure you both said yours were only waranteed for one.  I wondered if Cochlear had changed their policy but forgot to look into it.  I don't know when they changed their policy, but it might be worth looking into now since you've had yours for less than a year.

Wendy,

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Sam Rush

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 07:03:04 am »
The first year I had my BAHA, it had to be replaced twice thru the warranty, and this was done w/ no hassle. I didn't but the extended warranty, and now I have a separate policy for it  $100/year for $4000 coverage for loss or damage or breakage or repairs. It's been trouble free now for 2 1/2 yrs, although I rarely use it, maybe once or twice a week for a few hours.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Kaybo

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 07:06:38 am »
Sam~
Out of curiosity, why do use it so infrequently?  Just wondering...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 07:10:38 am »
I'm not certain I should extend my warranty though.

I've never been a believer in extended warranties ... from cars to anything else... I think its a waste of money....
I do think your homeowners or some other policy is the way to go....

now having said that.... I've taken very good care of my BAHA (or lucky) ..(no repairs yet)  and now that I'm working at home a lot.. I dont even wear it.. (because I'm home alone!) ... I never wear it working in the yard or fishing ... only wear it , going in the office (1 or 2 times a week)  or out to eat.... (about every time I put on good shoes ;) )

now if your total dependant on it (totally deaf without it, and wearing it 24/7 ) .... I would change my feelings on this.....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital