Author Topic: Question about fitness for those that have had surgery  (Read 5015 times)

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
Question about fitness for those that have had surgery
« on: April 19, 2009, 05:41:34 pm »
I've been rather quiet on here as I'm still waiting to meet my neurosurgeon (finally-tomorrow!).

In the meantime, just curious.  For those of you that are physically fit and do regular exercise (running, swimming, biking, half marathons, etc), how long was it after surgery until you could resume doing your fitness routine?  Maybe some parameters around when you started, and when you would say you were fully back into your routine (if you haven't been able to yet or your abilities have changed, that would be helpful information too).

Thanks!  Just did a 10K race today and am wondering if that's my last one for a long time (??).  I'd like to sign up for a mini-triathalon later this summer (first one) but even if I book it for late summer, I'm not sure that's realistic).  I don't have a surgery date, but anticipate one in early/mid June.

Thanks everyone!
Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Kaybo

Re: Question about fitness for those that have had surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 05:45:27 pm »
Adrienne~
Can't answer you specifically from personal experience, but there are MANY on here who were doing major training/running before their surgery and have resumed it VERY soon after...Marci, Keri (?) and Texsooner come to mind right off the bat.  Even though every surgery and outcome is very different, I think that you can do whatever you desire if you put your mind to it! ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 05:54:48 pm »
Hi Adrienne,
I'm a long-time runner so that was very much on my mind before surgery.  (Remember that recovery varies from person to person.) I ran my first tentative steps at 3 weeks, after several walks that gradually added distance and speed.  In the beginning I went to the mailbox.....and so on.  I'd say I was back to regular running of short distances at 5 weeks and by 12 weeks, really felt like myself.  I did not have balance problems or any complications after surgery so mine was a best-case scenario.  Whatever your recovery, you should be able to get back to doing most of what you are doing now.  You may have more energy.  I've noticed that I have more now than I did pre-surgery and that's not bad when you're 49.  ;D
I wish you well,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 06:21:23 pm »
I row on a Concept 2 rower for 30 minutes a day since 2001. Before surgery I asked when I would be able to resume my routine. The surgeon told me that after surgery he only wanted me to walk as exercise. After surgery I went for my 2 week visit and had the stitches taken out. I inquired again and the surgeon was so pleased with my recovery he told me I could resume that day -- and I did. The next day I was so exhausted I decided to wait another week.  When I started again I only did 15 minutes for a couple of days then I went back to my 30 minute routine. I still waited another couple of weeks until I started to do my intense interval routine that I usually do 2 or 3 times a week. After that I was back to my usual routine.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 07:55:35 pm »
Texsooner (Patrick) would have answered you by now, but he is busy riding the second half of the Houston 150 bike ride for MS. I think it was 4 months after surgery that he went and ran a half marathon. Keri ran one too (two months after surgery?), but she is busy up in Boston, going to the brunch and watching her husband run in the Boston marathon. I think LADavid ran a half last year sometime too.

Me, I am knitting.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 07:57:48 pm »
...and most of my running is after 3 curly girlies... ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Keri

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 09:39:37 pm »
Hi Adrienne,
Good questions! I'm a slow runner, but do a lot of half marathons. I had my last long run a few days before surgery. I had already signed up for a half marathon that was 8 weeks post op and I was nervous about doing it. But my doc said I could run again at 3 weeks, so I built up slowly to 10 miles a week before the half and I did fine. As soon as I could post op I went for walks and at three weeks the first very sloooow run / walk. I really find that fatigue and headaches hit me more post op when I'm just tired and stressed and too busy. If you're used to exercise, then exercise just makes you feel better post op. It's not excessively wearing post op (in my opinion).

My tumor was smaller that your's but if your doctor says it's alright, I'd recommend staying as active as possible right up until your surgery. Then I don't think your fitness level will drop significantly post op. I'd wait to sign up for a race until you know your surgery date. But if you're talking late summer and your surgery is soon, maybe it will all be fine. I just do running; others are bikers and I know sometimes that's more of a concern with balance. But Texsooner (Patrick) bikes away and Seal is an avid biker (he's just a few days post op).

Laura (allegro17) is also a triathlete - she did a half a few weeks ago and is running a marathon tomorrow. She has surgery in a week. She may be a wealth of information for you once she's a postie!

Let us know what you find out and what races you sign up for pre and post op! I believe doing this just helps you also not to worry as much about the AN.

I wish you the best,
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

MikeS

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 06:38:37 am »
Adrienne, prior to surgery (I'm 6 weeks post-op right now), I ran ~30 miles a week and worked out every day.  At 2 weeks post-op, I walked 3-4 miles a day just to get the blood pumping and that was exhausting.  I'm just starting to run short distances and I have done a couple of spin classes at the gym in the last week.  It definitely takes alot out of your energy/strength but it comes back gradually.  Your body will tell you when you're pushing too hard but within a few months, you'll be back to your normal self.
19mm AN, left side
diagnosed Jan '09

Trackman

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 09:14:03 am »
I am a swimmer. I started back about 6 weeks after surgery. Easy at first, back to normal about 5 months after surgery. I found the steam bath, sanua and spa made me very tired. They still do.

Mitch

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 10:13:06 am »
Thank you everyone.  This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for!  I'm so happy to see so many of you back to being active!
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!