Author Topic: House Brackmann 6. Pictures.  (Read 17073 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Re: House Brackmann 6. Pictures.
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 11:01:36 am »
For those of you with facial paralysis don't give up. Also do whatever it is to make you happy with yourself. If that entails plastic/cosmetic surgery/Juvaderm for an uplift/face lift/nerve graft/T3,etc. etc...........WHATEVER.......then do it. We deserve it and should never be criticized for trying to look and feel our best. On top of all that it sure is nice to have any help I can get with blinking my eye and drinking from a cup and talking normal and the procedures I have had done and will have done will accomplish these things! Yahoo! Very exciting! I do it for ME! and no one else!  My husband, family and friends thought I was very cute with a tube hanging out of my nose so go figure. I don't spend tons of time with my face other than what is required......but I do have to go for every 3 month Botox injections to help with the tightness/synkinesis and I have to do 3 times a day facial exercises and I have to do swallowing exercises to help me with eating as I still choke on foods and blink exercises. Unfortunately these are orders from my facial therapist/speech therapist and they do require time and attention. It does stink! But that's okay! The other procedures are just extras to try to make these functions easier and a bonus is facial symmetry! Just like when a person works out at the gym to lose weight. You lose your drive if after some time you don't lose any weight. You pretty much feel like canceling your membership and going home and eating a bag of potato chips out of frustration. Same thing here....All of these facial exercises and blink and swallow exercises, and shots........you gotta see some improvement or you just want to give up on it!
Paralysis recovery is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO slow and the procedures do make you feel like you're getting somewhere faster than snail's pace.
No one should judge you until they have walked in YOUR shoes! Listen to your own heart and surround yourself with people that support your endeavors. My husband tells me this all the time............"Angie, you deserve it. Do whatever makes YOU feel good and who cares if someone doesn't think you should try to improve the paralysis!" He says.........."It's NOT their face!"
Best wishes and to the BEST recovery from paralysis possible...Cheers!
Angie

Life is GOOD and only getting better.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 11:34:01 am by CROOKEDSMILE »

moe

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 11:04:43 am »
Hey all,
It was MEEEEEE who posted a couple pics under "MOE's GIMPY FACED PICS" showing my iguana on my shoulder which was  post op AN surgery 8 months and then 15 months post 12/7 pics of me with so so results.
OKAY I'm not gimpy faced,  but I sure would like to lift that left lip and smile.

I too am a nurse, ANGIE, so I can relate to a lot of what you may be thinking/going through.
It may seem like a lot of blood, sweat and tears to others as you try to achieve symmetry, and some may think "WHY bother?" You are beautiful!
But whatever floats our boat and helps us feel like we have some CONTROL over this dang paralysis.....Maybe that's part of it too.

And being in the medical profession, we are aware of and somewhat knowledgeable of what is out there. I personally want to take advantage of any medical technology that may help me, as long as it is covered by insurance!

I personally will not give up on my endeavor to get my smile back. It's like this life goal, and keeps me going--- I will be patient if it takes another year or two. What do I have to lose? I continue to work part time, and am still adjusting to living in the northwest.

Plus we live near Seattle, and I got into the network at Univ. WA Hospital, because the doc at Madigan did not want to do the 12/7.
They have a facial nerve injury specialty clinic, which I'm craving to get into (didn't want to say dying) .

I must be PATIENT though, and wait until JULY for my 18 month post op visit.
CHEERS!!!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

lori67

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 11:40:39 am »
Yes, that's me - the shy one.   :D

Actually, I'm the only one in my house who can operate a camera, so I'm usually the one taking the pictures and not the one in them.

I will have to look around to see where my post AN surgery-pre 7/12 pictures are.  I usually just look at them and then move onto the next thing - don't spend much time dwelling on the past and staring at pictures of myself, but if they help someone else, then I will see if I can find and scan them.  (Kay, you're not the only one with computer related deficiencies!)

The goal of my surgeries, the 7/12 and the lateral tarsorraphy has never been cosmetic - the goal for both was to protect my eye, as I do enjoy being able to see!  I would love to get my old smile back, but if I only achieve blinking, I'm thrilled with that.  I've never been one for surgery if it's not absolutely necessary to keep me alive.
Fortunately for me, I've been blessed with good genes that allow my family to age gracefully so I'm not seeing any elective cosmetic surgery in my future.  That's my personal opinion and I certainly have no issues with anyone else who chooses to go that route.  As a matter of fact, as a nurse, I look at is as job security!

To each his (or her) own.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Lainie181818

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 01:16:33 pm »
Angie,
I saw your progress pictures last night. I think it is a very brave, fantastic learning tool for other AN ers. I think you look absolutely gorgeous. I personally don't think there is anything wrong in doing whatever it takes both financially and medically to make you comfortable with your face. I was a little upset with some of the responses that you received. Nobody should question your inner beauty or reasons for wanting " the old you back "  You are perfectly right, unless you have had facial paralysis you have no idea what it is like. I have paralysis and a BAHA. In no way would I categorize the 2 as being the remote bit similar.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 01:05:19 pm by Jim Scott »

LADavid

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 03:53:52 pm »
Amen to that, LAinie.  It's all about support.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 08:01:38 pm »
Thanks guys. Means alot!
Love,
Angie

Kaybo

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2009, 08:22:27 pm »
I am still working on getting my "before" and "after" pictures from Johns-Hopkins.  I wanted to put them up here at 1 year, but I had to get them.  Then when they did send them, they were just the "before" and they sent them thru the regular mail -I don't have a clue how to scan - even though I think I have one!!  They had LOST (never uploaded apparently) the "after" pictures that we took in July when I went back there.  I am in the process of taking some for them because they are redoing their website (b/c I suggested - well, I'm sure not just b/c of me  - it b/c I told them there were a lot of people accessing it from this site and the complaint was that it was the same pics that had always been there).  My intention was not to be on the website - just relaying comments I heard here, but they have asked if I will be on there.  I have told them that I would be honored, but they didn't have to committ until they saw the "after" photos to see if it showed enough progress.  (You know I lost some with all the aftermath!)  I wonder if Nancy will be up there too??  I think it might be good to have links to that site as well as anything pertaining to the 12/7 (or 7/12) or any other form of treatment...Also, Lori is having incredible results from the 12/7!

K
I just tried to fix a type-o so I don't get why it did this - I've done this before and didn't quote...hhhmmm!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:24:26 pm by Kaybo »
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2009, 05:56:27 am »
Hi Angie. I send you wishes for continued wellness and hope that the processes you have endured bring the results you seek.  I wish that for everyone here that have tried to deal with post-treatment issues..... we all want to do what it takes to be well.

As we know... "individual results may vary...."  There are those willing to go the extra mile to do what it takes to try to help physically/emotionally during this tough road we travel. We know there are those that are content to remain as is, as well.  The pictures certainly do help others to show that there are positive things that can happen, even after AN treatment (yes, even for those post-radio, as we know issues can arise there as well).  What I want to make sure that newbies here understand is that ... this is not a given.  Angie is doing great and definately on a road to wellness.  I am also a firm believer, as noted by Lori and others here that its whats on the inside that count.  Everyone here is such beautiful people on the inside... and by that radiating from everyone... to me, it doesn't matter what the outside looks like... its the innerds that count.  Take that from someone who also has outward appearance issues that others tend to shy from and have lack of understanding of who and what I am.

If the means are there for folks to do what they believe to be the best for them, by all means, go for it... and if not... just remember, the inner person you are is what matters. I'll reference Susan Boyle (who IS a beautiful person on the outside). Folks have noted her outward and makeover attempts, etc for her... but she has a voice of an angel... and that is all that matters. She radiates from within... and who cares if she has bushy eyebrows. I know this is not a good comparison, but I'm trying to relay what she radiates from within.... she has stunned the world with the gift of her voice, when others were mocking her outward appearance when she is extremely content with who she is..... and that is what you all do here.... by sharing, by caring, by being there for each other.... the inside will win over many by how you project it.

wellness wishes to all that endure....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2009, 02:23:18 pm »
I have paralysis and a BAHA. In no way would I categorize the 2 as being the remote bit similar.

As I said in my post, neither would I.

Direct quote  "I realize a BAHA isn't facial paralysis, just using it as an example".

I was simply trying to say what Lori and Phyl both said - only they apparently said it better :)

It's what on the inside that counts.  Facial paralysis or no facial paralysis.  BAHA or no BAHA.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2009, 02:31:11 pm »
Phyl,

Thanks for the reminder... I need to tweeze my eyebrows!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2009, 02:35:30 pm »
Phyl,

Thanks for the reminder... I need to tweeze my eyebrows!   :D

Lori

thwack!  Back on topic, girlie!

I want to send angie continued wishes and looking forward to further updates as time goes along... and from many of you as well that are also enduring facial issues. Hoping all remember to project from within, regardless of what the outside looks like.... we are much more attractive when the true, giving souls that we are (and I know that there are MANY good souls participating on this site!) are shown.

thanks again angie and all..... :)
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

klangel

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2009, 03:30:22 pm »
angie, you are so courageous to put those pics up! they will help many. i refused to be photographed at all for the entire first year post surgery. looking back i think i was a little foolish for not doing so. i still have a hard time with it and im 4 years out. people who knew me before can tell but those who did not would probably not know if i didnt tell them. i still despise the changes. i also have recently come to botox for the facial pain but it took the loss of 5 teeth and ha! a crooked smile before that was even suggested. i would post a pic of myself but im really computer stupid and dont know how. you are really quite beautiful! so glad youve come so far too. btw i love the elephant trunk thing. i think the kids understand and accept better than most of the adults. they just dont get it. even doctors dont! it was wonderful of you to share. it will ease the fear in the minds of alot of folks. thanx so much.    kerri

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2009, 07:17:40 am »
I love this support group. It has gotten me through SOOO much.
Hugs and Kisses to ALL!
Angie
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 07:25:36 am by ppearl214 »

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2009, 07:28:49 am »
Hi angie,

thanks for understanding that your recent post was modified.... truly appreciate your understanding.

As things have been going back and forth between some site users in this thread, we ask that everyone kindly take it off the forums and to PM/emails.  If there is an issue with this request, please email any moderator (Sgerrard, Jim Scott, JoeF or myself) as our inboxes are always available to users here should there be any issues.

If the recent conversations continue in this thread or carry over to any other discussion thread, the related thread will be locked.  Nuff said.

angie, please keep us updated on your facial progress as its so important to so many here that will gain from it.  :) Pls be well and again, thanks for understanding.

Phyl
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:06:03 am by ppearl214 »