Author Topic: Another one year anniversary  (Read 6898 times)

Cheryl R

Another one year anniversary
« on: April 17, 2009, 07:40:53 am »
I have mentioned my 1 yr followup but today is the actual 1 yr anniversary of my last surgery that gave me my hearing back.     For the newbies I am NF2 and deaf on one side and was next to deaf on the left.       My mid fossa a year ago today returned most of the hearing to the left.    Not perfect but good enough I didn't need a cochlear implant.                   I know I have mentioned this more than once but words can not express how grateful I am to have it back.                          It has meant so much to me and getting my hear my 2 yr granddaughter learning to talk has been some of the best.   
I don't put my anniversaries on the calender since more than one but this one is very special.                         Our Michigan daughter gets in  today and there is a family wedding tomorow so a much better weekend than a year ago.     
                                                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kaybo

Re: Another one year anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 07:44:33 am »
Cheryl~
CONGRATULATIONS!!  You definitely have something to be happy about!!  So glad you got the hearing back!
Enjoy the weekend & the wedding!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 07:45:23 am »
Cheryl,

Congrats on your anniversary. It is good to read about such a happy outcome. Enjoy!

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

texsooner

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 07:54:16 am »
Cheryl,

Congrats...that's great about your hearing and your 1 year anniversary. I really appreciate that I have good hearing on one side, so I know how important that has to be for you. Enjoy your daughter, granddaughter, and the wedding.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 08:51:33 am »
Grats on the anniversary and double grats on the saved hearing, of course :)

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 11:06:33 am »
Happy Anniversary, Cheryl  ;D

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 03:20:09 pm »
Cheryl ~

I just want to offer you my personal congratulatory message on your one-year surgery anniversary.  That the surgery aided in restoring the hearing in one ear makes this anniversary even more important.  Your success story is heartening and we're very happy for you.  Thanks for your many contributions to these forums.   Now, enjoy listening to that little granddaughter of yours as she learns how to talk.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 06:56:06 pm »
How nice of your family to throw a big wedding to celebrate your anniversary. :)

Have a great time, you have earned it.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 07:33:00 pm »
Cheryl I'm so happy for you!!!You have been through so much and it's great to see what good things are happening in your life.  Enjoy your time with family - I just love weddings!!!

kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Cheryl R

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 09:26:47 am »
I kinow this is not AN related but will enjoy the wedding.   Took our daughter over to her sisters and we watched the 2 yr old as her 5 yr sister is a flower girl and her parents and her went to the rehearsal.         The 2 yr old enjoyed having her auntie there as she only gets back every few months.    Our daughter now knows how nuts Grandma has been since the 2 yr has just blossomed lately with talking.  She is staying there for a couple days too.
The wedding is with a step niece who we have known more than half her life.   Sweet gal.    The wedding is now as both the bride and groom have been to Iraq once and there is a chance she may be deployed again this fall.  She wants to be married this time around.      Both are in Army Reserve.              Time will tell how that goes.   
                                                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 12:46:11 pm »
Cheryl,

A VERY hearty congrats to you!  I know your road is too well worn/traveled and it's been a tough ride... but this is great news!  I send my wishes for continued wellness to you and yes, even the healing huggles.

Congrats!  You've done great!

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

wendysig

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 12:25:51 pm »
Cheryl,

Sorry I missed you one year anniversary.  Congratulations on reaching this milestone and wishing you even better days and years to come.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!