Author Topic: hives ...5 days after GK  (Read 4086 times)

tatianne

hives ...5 days after GK
« on: May 09, 2009, 05:36:23 am »
I had GK on Monday and I have been feeling not too bad.
I have been a little more tired then usual....some swelling on the right eye thats helped with cold.
Last night cooking dinner I was moving around a lot and got hot and sweaty. After dinner I sat down to relax and I started feeling really itchy.
Hives developed on my wrists , under my arms, and on my tummy...I took Benadryl and went to sleep which heled the itching for a few hours.
When I woke uo some had left and new ones appeared...really red. This has never happened to me before. Could this be a reaction from GK? Has anyone else exerienced this after radiation ?? Its freaking me out a little....tks
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Vivian B.

Re: hives ...5 days after GK
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 09:20:59 am »
Hi Tatianne,

Sorry you got hives. I can't really help you with your question, but here in Ontario we have a telehealth inquiry centre that you can calll anytime and ask a question. I am not sure if you have the same system in Montreal. From what I have ready in the forum and people that had GK treatment, I do not recall anyone that experienced this shortly after the treatment. I wouldn't think that it is related but I reallly don't know . It could have been a reaction to anything? The good thing is that it is going away. Hope you feel better.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 10:44:47 am »
T -

I didn't have GK, but if the problem continues you might want to contact your doctor just to see what he says about it.

The hives may not be related to the treatment, but you never know.

Please keep us updated.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mk

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 11:14:37 am »
I have never heard/read about something like this after radiation, and it certainly wasn't on the list of possible reactions that I received after my GK. It certainly looks more like a reaction to food (I know that too well now, because my daughter was diagnosed with peanut allergy last week  :(). Could it be a reaction to something you ate?
In any case, I would call the doctors at the GK centre, just to make sure. I suppose that they gave you their emergency contact information and they should be able to respond even during the weekend.

I hope this will resolve soon.

Marianna

GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

tatianne

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 11:39:52 am »
Thanks guys
The hives have pretty much left as fast as they came. I remembered b4 that my wonderful son gave me dandelions last night...I have hay fever...im thinking it might be from touching the flower then my skin in various places. If it comes back, I will call my doctor without delay.
Aside from that the good news is:
-pin holes have almost healed already (polysporin is really helpful with this)
-no headaches or dizzyness....no nausea

Feeling tired ish and once in a while an ache behind my AN ear, I can live with this. Advil does the trick.

Here is hoping things continue to stay stable......major shrinkage.....and no more hives !  lol

God Bless !
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 02:23:48 pm »
Hi, Tatianne ~

I was so glad to learn that the hives you suffered with yesterday have abated and that the cause was (probably) from the dandelions you touched.  I sincerely hope that is the case and that your recovery can now continue apace.  You're doing great!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 06:43:28 pm »

It seems that all kids like dandelions, don't they. My son picked many dandelions yesterday and insisted on carrying them all in the house. And my daughter thought that they will make a great mother's day gift  :D.

Oh, polysporin, I wish I had thought about that too. My pin hole on the left side was sore and took quite a bit to disappear.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 08:52:08 am »
Hey Tatianne,

Ok, for me... immediately post radio (CK).... I had "hot face".... flushing, slight itchies (but not outright hives). My face was hot to the touch and did run into ear fullness.  I gave my radio-onc a heads up on these issues and hung in there.... the benedryl did help with the itchies (and great to help with naps! :)... as well as ear  fullness).

Will follow along to see how you are doing...

Hang tough, you toastie Postie! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

tatianne

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 06:35:47 am »
Hi Everyone,
 to give you all and update, Saturday night the itching and hives returned, especially my head for the itchy part. I once again took Benadryl and when I woke up all was gone like it have never been there. Yesterday I didnt get any, but I did take benadryl before bed just in case. I think I will take some for the next few nights, and your right Phyl, its a great sleep aid !
Phyl was your head itchy ??  lol
I know for sure its hives because my son gets them. I read that you can have a reaction from meds even days or weeks after taking them, so Im thinking maybe its a reaction from one of the many things they gave me last Monday.
I will try to reach the nurse in the GK clinic today just to let her know whats up, but I know there isnt much they can do for this.

Aside from that I feel more energetic today...ear is stable as before GK...and I havent had any head aches for the past days.

Thanks everyone for all the support, its much appreciated at this time of a little bit of bump in the road.
God Bless
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 08:59:44 am »
T -

sorry the hives have returned; but glad you've found relief with benadryl.  If you do get through to the GK clinic, please let us know what they say.  Although this hasn't been a common side-effect for others who had GK, it might be very valuable information for the newbies that we seem to be getting every day.

It's great that you are feeling more energetic today and you haven't had any more headaches.

Have a wonderful day  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 09:06:29 am »
Yesterday I didnt get any, but I did take benadryl before bed just in case. I think I will take some for the next few nights, and your right Phyl, its a great sleep aid !
Phyl was your head itchy ??  lol

Yeah, scalp got itchy for the first couple of weeks. Figured it was just time of year and heat was still on (early April in New England).... but, with the hot face and occassional scalp itch, I just hung in there. Try to give it a couple of weeks to see if it eases up. :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

tatianne

Re: hives ...5 days after GK...update !
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 07:10:41 am »
Its been 10 days since GK and things are good....no more hives, thank God ! Im convinced it was a reaction to one of the meds they had given me on Monday.

You can barely even notice that i had holes in my head..lol all healed up.

Still a bit tired but that also could be because im a mom of three kids and work full time, but im making it a point to rest.

Hearing, tinnitus are stable, no changes.

If anything else comes up I will let you guys know, if not I will update at 1 month post GK  ( Im praying all my hair will still be where it should be..)

Take care all

T
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm

Vivian B.

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 10:55:41 am »
Hi Tatianne,

I am glad that you are doing better and the hives were not related to treatment. We'll look forward to your one month post. Best Wishes on a prosperous recovery.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.