Author Topic: neck pain??  (Read 4092 times)

cin605

neck pain??
« on: April 05, 2009, 02:14:23 pm »
Did neck pain come w/ your head aches?my neck muscles are spasing out.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

carter

Re: neck pain??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 06:27:14 pm »
my neck muscles get very tight..... i have used muscle relaxers a few times. 

yest the tight muscles go with my head aches.
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 08:37:10 pm »
Yes I have neck and shoulder pain when I have a really bad headache.  I find I carry myself differently when I'm in pain and that aggravates my neck and shoulder. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 10:42:07 pm »
Here is some info I have found along the way from doctors and reading medical studies. (Pubmed is a great gov. site.)

Generally, sensory nerves radiate pain. The starting point of pain can be a trapped nerve in the back of your head (occipital). These nerves tend to radiate behind the eye and down the neck and shoulder even though the problem really is a trapped or damaged nerve in the back of the head.  The nerve can cause pain along the route and cause muscles to spasm along the way. Various sensory nerves are all over your scalp and radiate pain to different places including the face and forehead.

People with back pain often experience pain shooting down one of their legs, even though the problem is the back. The sciatic nerve becomes trapped or pinched in the back. The nerve radiates pain down the leg.  Heart attacks are often felt in the arm or neck because the pain is referred.  This is the same principle.

If a nerve block is injected at the point where the nerve is trapped it will stop the pain behind the eye and neck as well. Nerve blocks can help diagnose where the pain is pinched or trapped.

As far as I can tell, there are about 4 main options. (I've done them all!)

1) Hope that the nerve dies and stops transmitting pain totally or to some degree.  (I have heard this happens but can find no statistics.)
2) Hope that the nerve becomes untrapped.  (Physical therapy, massage or chiropractic might help)
3) Take medications to make it more difficult for the nerve to transmit pain or muscles to contract. (Oral medications, nerve blocks, Botox, heat, ice, ect.)
4) Surgically release the nerve.

To say the least, these headaches are complicated. My headache neurologist mentioned that these types of headaches can also trigger a migraine component and visa versa.  This might explain the prolonged "train wrecks" people on this site describe.

Best Wishes,
Janet

Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

JudyT

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 07:35:08 am »
I have neck pain and tightness down my back to shoulder blades. I try Yoga stretches, neck rolls and get regular massages. All help but I am never pain free.
Judy

MikeS

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 03:30:35 pm »
I'm exactly 3 weeks post-op and am still having neck pain.  after i came out, the pain and stiffness in my neck/shoulders was brutal and it has improved significantly over the past 3 weeks.  dr said it has to do with the position they had me in during surgery (head turned 90 degrees for 6 hours).  neck was black and blue for first week.  heating pad and slowly turning my head to get some movement back into the muscles has helped.

i was fully expecting the headaches (which unfortunately i still have) but the neck pain was alot worse than expected.
19mm AN, left side
diagnosed Jan '09

GeorgiaMei

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 06:40:33 pm »
I too have terrible pain in my neck and shoulders.  It's unrelieved by massage,  yoga, stretching...  Heat helps and my neurologist has given me Lidonciane 5% patches which i wear at night and they help quite a bit.  I highly recommend them!  There are over the counter ones too,  but they are expensive ad most of them smell funny.
3.3cm x 2.6cm : Translab resect 3/08
Post-op epilepsy , multiple clots in brain sinuses
Chronic H/A, Facial paralysis, Imbalance, Vertigo
CN VIII removed-deaf in R ear
Received amazing care from Drs. Roberson and Colen at CEI/Stanford (www.californiaearinstitute.com)

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 12:21:30 am »
I get the neck pain. Until recently, I was waking up with a soar neck everyday, and oftern in the middle of the night. More often than not, that soarness develped into a headache.

For some weeks now, I've been taking Pamelor. I'm getting some relief. I don't get the headaches every day. It gets better--I don't wake up with a soar neck every day. I've even gone about 10 days without a headache. That's my record so far and I hope to break it soon. 

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Patti

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 06:31:35 am »
i have had neck pain causing headaches.  i have found total releif from cranial sacral therapy and he is a DO so it is covered by insurance.  i went frequently at first, but now i go about once a month.  you should read about it.  it makes sense.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015