Author Topic: Gentomyacin injections for vertigo?  (Read 3420 times)

amye

Gentomyacin injections for vertigo?
« on: April 07, 2009, 07:53:51 pm »
Hi Everyone;

I saw a neurosurgeon today who suggested that I consider gentomyacin injections in my AN ear -- he recommended to just go ahead and destroy the vestibular nerve on that side (which is apparently what this drug does) and thus stop the chronic vertigo/dizziness problems. He said that because my tumor is so small (4mm) and I still have my hearing in that ear, he does not recommend surgery or radiation.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Amy

sgerrard

Re: Gentomyacin injections for vertigo?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:27:33 pm »
Hi Amy,

I have heard of it. If it works, it would be a nice way to solve the balance nerve issue. Catlover had some injections of it, in preparation for surgery in Sweden, but it didn't do anything for her. (http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8865).

MaryBKAriz also looked into it, and decided to wait. She had CK radiation, and was bothered by some balance issues afterwards (http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6523.msg89843#msg89843).

It does work sometimes, though. I think there is also a chance that it will take out the hearing as well. I don't know any statistics on it.

So I don't know. Maybe?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

amye

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 10:07:04 pm »
Thanks, Steve. I'll look into their posts.

I'm also wondering if anyone with balance nerve problems has been relieved of those symptoms following any of the various forms of radiation. This neurosurgeon I saw today (who does both microsurgery and gamma knife) said he knew of no data to support radiation as a treatment for the vertigo/dizziness symptoms.

What a crazy maze this all seems to be? Or maybe roulette is a better analogy?

Amy

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 11:22:04 pm »
When I went to Dr. Chang at Stanford for CK, they were very interested in getting my vestibular lab test results. I think they have the same view, that if you have a serious balance nerve issue, you probably won't get resolution of it from radiation treatment. Fortunately I had very little impairment, and I haven't had more since treatment either.

There is an element of roulette in the whole thing, since no one can guarantee anything. You can find your way to a good bet, though. Then you just have to hope it works for you.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

mary1227

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 04:18:58 pm »
Just talked to my ENT about this yesterday. He advised against it for me.

Gentomyacin is indeed a great nerve killer, but it sometimes 'spills' over into the other nerves on that side and causes deafness or facial sagging. The doc's control over that is not 100%. That was all I needed to hear about that! Scary talk.

If it would just kill the vestibular nerve and stay put, I would be all over it. I really wanted that to be my option, but after hearing his warning, I don't think that is for me.