Author Topic: If you had tumor left after surgery...  (Read 2711 times)

anissa

• My Journey
If you had tumor left after surgery...
« on: April 06, 2009, 12:24:09 pm »
There was some of my AN that they just couldn't get off of my facial nerve, the Dr. of course is confident that it won't regrow and I am extremely hopeful about that.  Anybody else had this happen?  Can you see it on the MRI?  Has it re-grown?  What is done is done and what will happen will happen, just curious about it.
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: If you had tumor left after surgery...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 02:26:49 pm »
Hi, Anissa ~

My neurosurgeon deliberately left some of my tumor with a pre-determined plan to radiate it, later, which was accomplished successfully.  The goal was to avoid disturbing the facial nerve.  That goal was met.  I trust that your doctor will observe your remaining AN (via MRI scans) and schedule you for radiation (I had FSR) if any growth is seen.  Let's hope the thing just dies on it's own.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 02:30:10 pm »
While I don't know for sure if any was left or not (doctor seems to think they got it all), the chance of a regrowth overall are about 1-2% of AN patients.  With careful monitoring via MRI scans over the years, you will be able to tell if you need to follow the surgery up with radiation (or, heaven forbid another surgery).  Like you, my surgery was pretty long so I'm not anxious to do it again at any point in the future.

I'm about 1 month away from my first post-op MRI.  Hopefully, they'll be able to confirm that none was left behind and HOPEFULLY they'll be able to confirm that I have a brain.  :)  I hear they confirmed Jan's, so I'm hopeful they'll confirm mine too!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

OTO

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 08:41:38 pm »
One of the reasons they don't expect regrowth is that they cut off blood supply to the tumor...   at my 6-month MRI, I sent my MRI to Dr. Slattery at House and he said there was no regrowth.   My two year MRI will be coming up in May 09...

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 09:20:16 pm »
Thank you all for your reassurance and OTO, thanks for reminding me the part about the blood supply, I'd forgotten that.
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"