Author Topic: Reading MRIs  (Read 2030 times)

Keeping Up

Reading MRIs
« on: April 05, 2009, 08:12:07 pm »
How do I do it?

I got my CD last week from the scan last November - and can't see anything.  I have about 6-8 different 'shots' that go slice by slice (i.e. front facing, looking down and not sure what else - I was at work, and looking at my brain seemed inappropriate).

Is there a specific view that makes it easier to see?

When I saw it at the doctor's office last December, it was so clear and easy to read - but on the CD everything is blurred, with what seems to be the wrong pixel clarity.  I see that each 'profile' has a different name, just wondering if one profile is better than the next.

I was hoping to get my next disk the morning of the scan and check out the results for myself - but at this point, I know I have a small AN, I know what side but can't see it.

And, really silly question - is L for left side and R for right side or is for whatever reason backwards.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

sgerrard

Re: Reading MRIs
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 08:22:34 pm »
L = Left, R = Right.

The images aren't backwards, they are just not in the directions you think they are at first.

The ones that show both sides of your head, for instance, are like photographs taken with you facing the camera. Just as in a regular photo, your left side appears on the right side of the image. The others are taken from the side, or from the bottom looking up (not the top looking down).

As for which ones to look at? I just try all of them until I find one that looks interesting. I have no idea what all the labels mean. With the ones I got, you can use the scroll wheel on the mouse to go through the series - very cool when you find a good one.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

mk

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 07:26:23 pm »
Hi Ann,

Depending on the software, many views show up at the "top" of the screen. Each "view" contains many images, taken at different slices. You need to select, or "drag" the series that you want to view, and then scroll through the slices, until the AN appears (usually mid-way). The AN appears on most views, but for some reason, it is shows more clearly on the ones towards the end. Also, if you have an injection towards the end of the procedure, the "contrast enhanced" views appear at the end - these are the ones that you want to look at, although if I remember well yours was taken entirely without contrast.

Hope this helps a bit.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Keeping Up

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 08:29:55 pm »
I think I got it - you can find what you are looking for by comparing the pictures to internet MRI pictures of intracanicular tumors.  I was able to find it on two different series.  While the pictures were much clearer on the computer at the hospital, once I figured out what I was looking for, it was easy to spot.  (I also finally figured out the left versus right.)  Remember, my scans were done with enhancement so the tumor is much more monotone but truly evident.

It is interesting that the CPA angle isn't really a big void space in the middle of your head.  I was expecting that to be a better benchmark.

So, I will pick up my CD in May and see what I can see.  Interestingly, I have to wait 10 days to get back to see my ENT post MRI  - then I found out I have a conflict between the first neurosurgeon consult (remember, I was diagnosed in December - so a bit of a wait!) and the day my ENT is back from a break.  So, I guess the neurosurgeon will give me the update followed by the ENT a few days later.

Fun stuff.

The MRIs are very cool - I played around with lines, measurement.  Wow, those with the big tumors >3cm types - that would consume a big chunk of your skull.  Impressive if it wasn't so serious.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

calimama

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 02:11:00 pm »
Hey Ann,

You and MK are peas in a pod with your disks and trying to sort out all the layers and measures.

You know my tumor was 2.9cm and it was truly a big mass on the screen (and in my head!). I really couldn't quite believe it when i saw it. I showed it to my hubbie and he said...NO that can't be it, that's huge! It was scary.

I finally have my first post-surgery MRI booked for August (had to cancel my 6 month MRI as i just got pregnant!). I am kind of looking forward to it, but hope there is not much to see (they did leave some on my facial nerve). I may just end up in watch n wait when all is said and done. Anyway, one thing at a time.

Hope you are doing well.

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.