Author Topic: Question aboutTinnitus  (Read 2452 times)

alwaysthere

Question aboutTinnitus
« on: April 05, 2009, 03:08:38 pm »
Is there anywone who can explain to me how you tell which ear the tinnitus is in?
The ringing in my head is bad enough that I honestly can't tell which ear it is coming from. I have tried covering one ear at a time but I seem to hear it no matter what. I know this is a stupid question, but was just wondering.

Patty
Diagnosed 1/09 1.6cm left side
5/09 2cm
hearing & balance problems
Surgery Date June 25, 2009 St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Mn
Surgery went great, can still hear!!!!

"This too shall come to pass and life will go on"

Jackie

Re: Question aboutTinnitus
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 04:20:46 pm »
Hi Patty,

Is it possible that you have Tinnitis in both ears, which could be why you cannot distinguish which ear?? My husband has it in both ears, I only have it on my AN side. That's the only thing that to me would explain why you can't distinguish which ear?? I am sure others will have input also! Good luck!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 07:16:43 pm »
Not a stupid question at all!  When my ENT asked which ear the ringing was in, I told him I really couldn't tell - it just seemed to be in my head - I couldn't really determine which ear it was in.  Now, post-op, I can definitely tell it's in the AN ear, particularly when it's turned up due to loud environments, etc.  But prior to surgery, I could not determine from where it came, but it was there 24/7 - still is, of course  ::)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 08:23:33 pm »
No one ever asked me which ear the tinnitus was in, but mine also seems to be overall, although it is definitely louder on the AN side.  And, it is definitely louder when in environments with much background noise or music.  For some odd reason it is very loud when I first get into bed at night (I told my husband to quit playing the triangle while I was trying to go to sleep! :D)  Blissfully, most of the time I can divert my focus away from it, but it is always there.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011