Author Topic: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift  (Read 76714 times)

moe

Re: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift
« Reply #195 on: April 20, 2009, 09:20:31 am »
Hi Nancy,
Hope you were able to enjoy your brunch, and hope your doc appt went good too.
Will be interested to hear what they say about your temporary paralysis.
Since your nerve is intact, you should see improvement, but it might be slow.
Hang in there :'(
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #196 on: April 20, 2009, 11:12:46 am »
We're just back from Boston where I had my sutures removed.  Both Dr. McKenna and his fellow Dr. McCall, MEEI neurotologists, were in attendance.  Dr. McCall looked at me and said I looked worse than when I was in the hospital.  Gee, I even dressed to impress!  They stated emphatically that my face will regain its function, perhaps months from now.  I should begin to see a change in a matter of weeks with my eye issues.  I told them I was holding them to it!
The doctors said that my balance was not an issue because it was good post-op, so just walking around should cure the leaning to good side sensation.
And there will be one, three, five, ten, fifteen, and twenty-five-year MRIs.  Apparently, even with total tumor removal, there is a chance of regrowth.
My caregiver Dave has packed his computer and belongings to return to his business and own home, so I'm on my own with orders to behave myself.  The doctors said I could begin to lift and bend over in a few weeks and drive the lawn tractor.  I drove my car the last twenty miles home from Boston, and it only felt as unpleasant as when I get my eyes dilated at the eye doctor and have to drive on a sunny day.
Tomorrow is the big hair wash day, perhaps even a nice soak in the tub.
I feel as though I have reached a major milestone in my progress.
Dr. Barker will do his post-op assessment on May 21.
I feel like saying THE END, but that would be too sad.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

NancyMc

« Reply #197 on: April 20, 2009, 11:52:24 am »
PS - I asked Dr. McKenna what causes tinnitus since Dave has it as well.  He replied that it is the brain's attempt to turn up the volume when there is hearing loss, sort of like trying to find sound with bad speakers.  Of course, I've reinterpreted whatever he actually said.

And, we shot the first in a planned series of mug shots to watch for facial expression improvement.
For now, I'm humming "I'm Popeye, the Sailor Man. Toot! Toot!"

tenai98

« Reply #198 on: April 20, 2009, 02:02:04 pm »
Hey Nancy
Had stitches removed today as well...As for driving neurosurgeon doesnt ok it til 6 weeeks post op...that is ok by me being a driving instructor I know the perils of driving when mentaly impairement...it can be worse than drunk driving.   I am going to book a day at the spa for sometime in May...TNen in July I want to fly to Edmonton Alberta and see my granddaughter for the first time..She is now three months...But best of all a week b4 my surgery,my son came home from his tour in Afganistan...
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

NancyMc

« Reply #199 on: April 20, 2009, 02:21:10 pm »
Oh, JO, that's the best gift any mother could ask for.  I've got goosebumps all over.  I'm so pleased for you on so many levels.  You must be euphoric even without steroids!
Nancy

Keri

« Reply #200 on: April 20, 2009, 05:45:01 pm »
Hi Nancy,
Glad you got your stitches out today. That helps the way your head feels, I believe. Hey when I took the red line T today, I went by MGH and thought of you all who had surgeries there!
Currently I'm sitting in NH waiting for my flight back to MD. It was nice to meet you yesterday and no, you're not allowed to say 'the end!" you need to stay around !! ( I know you will). Where did Dave go back to? Let us know about his 'gig' on CBS or Good Morning America or whatever it is so we can watch too!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

NancyMc

« Reply #201 on: April 20, 2009, 07:46:18 pm »
Hi, Keri.
Hope you had a positive experience in Boston.  It was vibrating with sports activities and enthusiasm all weekend.
Dave just lives a half hour south of me in Laconia, not far.
I'll try to remember to post when I have the exact date, but he'll be on CBS Sunday Morning either on May 3 or 10 (9 am ET) for his redesign of the Porter Garden telescope.  His website is nugentpatterns.com.  The telescope is linked to his site or you can go to gardentelescopes.com.  It's the 400th anniversary of the telescope this year, apparently.  Mind you, when they were filming, they didn't get to him until very late in the day, and he was totally fried.  They may have to cut out any images of him.   ;D
Loved meeting you, and safe home.
Nancy

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #202 on: April 20, 2009, 09:55:50 pm »
Hey Nancy,

Great update!  Isn't it funny how docs will say things without thinking about how they could be taken out of context?  Oh, like maybe, "you look worse than you did..."  ;D 

I'm sure your doctors are right in that you will make a full recovery, but I am sorry that you have to go through this period facial weakness.  I only wish the hearing nerve could bounce back over time the way the facial nerve does :).

I will keep praying for rapid improvements for you!  (And I won't bring my bass boat to your lake) :)

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

NancyMc

« Reply #203 on: April 22, 2009, 07:32:29 am »

Two Week Update

Meds:  Last .5 mg decadron will be tomorrow morning.  I know Steve has been looking forward to that milestone.
Sleep:  Finally slept all night for the first time in two weeks after an evening out at the pub session.  Thanks go to Sir Guinness and Lord Bailey.
Pain:  None since 28 hours post-op other than the minor headaches of a hospital roommate who watched TV while talking on her cell phone (often while her husband was also talking on his cell phone), complaining about how well she takes care of herself and it's the fault of her boss overworking her that she had a mini-stroke, all while the smoking cessation counselor suggests she give up the pleasures of smoking to prevent the aneurysm in her brain from exploding.
Digestive system:  All good after Miralax for five days.
Balance:  Fine except when I am sitting I have to fight from leaning toward my good side.  Even showering for the first time yesterday with my eyes closed was a non-issue, except for the wee bit of water entering the almost closed eye.
Driving:  Seems fine except for minor change in AN side peripheral vision.  No head turning issues.
Tinnitus:  Worse.
Hearing:  Although my hearing was deemed invalid pre-op, I have no sense of anyone or anything on my AN side.  I believe I used to at least be somewhat aware of sounds or activity.  It could be the diminished peripheral vision associated with facial weakness again or actually reduced hearing.
Face:  Well, there's only one word that suits, and Phyl would have her way with that before I could even post it. 
Functional issues:  Eating and drinking are a challenge.  Taking small bites, chewing carefully, sipping with the expectation of dribbles from vessel and mouth.  Some speech issues.  Also, straining vocal chords to be heard for some reason.  Perhaps some residual intubation issues.
Eye:  Gel gets me through the night.  Irritation occurs periodically during the day, requiring me to hold down my eye lid or to close my eyes and take a break.
Incisions:  Fat graft incision is all overhanging, blobby and nasty red scar.  I try to avoid looking at it.  I'll get a photo of head scar soon.
Mental state:  It seems my nerves are all on the surface, ready receptors to input.  No sugar-coating anything any more.  Take everything at face value.  What you give me is what I receive and respond to.  Except if you say nice things, I might not believe you and even think you are being unkind to lie.
This too shall pass.
The support of this forum was and is my most valuable asset going in, coming out, and from here forward.
I have been extremely fortunate to date.
Thank you, All.
And Happy Earth Day!  Do something nice for your other mother today!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:10:36 am by NancyMc »

sgerrard

« Reply #204 on: April 22, 2009, 09:08:17 am »
I'm sure it is because I am on the forum too much, but I am starting to like the pirate smile. It lends a touch of character to an AN veteran.  ;)

The eye foo and the eating foo don't sound like fun, though. I hope your facial nerve issue proves to be reasonably temporary, and not protracted. Even as the steroids wear off, you sound like you are in pretty good shape overall. You made it through, Nancy. Now you can get on with living.

Enjoy the spring and summer in NH.  8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #205 on: April 22, 2009, 02:21:42 pm »
Nancy ~

Thanks for the comprehensive update - and photo.  Although you definitely have some challenges, you seem to experiencing a reasonably good recovery and remain in good spirits.  Of course, I join everyone else in hoping the facial nerve deficits will be strictly temporary. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #206 on: April 22, 2009, 02:40:09 pm »
Sleep:  Finally slept all night for the first time in two weeks after an evening out at the pub session.  Thanks go to Sir Guinness and Lord Bailey.

Woohoo!  I bet it felt good to sleep all night for a change, even if it was with those two other guys!  ;)

Driving:  Seems fine except for minor change in AN side peripheral vision.  No head turning issues.

I'm so jealous!  I turn my head side to side more than once and I feel like I'm going to pass out!

Face:  Well, there's only one word that suits, and Phyl would have her way with that before I could even post it.

Hehe, I'd pay money to see her reaction though! :).  I am sorry that you have to deal with the facial issues, but will continue to pray that they resolve quickly and completely for you.

Take everything at face value.  What you give me is what I receive and respond to.  Except if you say nice things, I might not believe you and even think you are being unkind to lie.

Well, I understand that, but I will not ever lie to you or anyone on this forum.  Heck, I try not to ever lie period.  It's true what Steve said about the pirate smile.  We here on the forum are kind of used to seeing it, so there is certainly no shock value there.  I think you look great, but I too would rather you have your old look back.  Not to make it "better" or "easier" for me to look at you, it doesn't do that.  I want you to get it back so YOU can feel better.

Fat graft incision is all overhanging, blobby and nasty red scar.  I try to avoid looking at it.  I'll get a photo of head scar soon.

Ewww... That just doesn't sound right :).  Looking forward to the pic of the head scar though.

Happy Earth Day!  Do something nice for your other mother today!

Hmm...what could I do today  ???.  Maybe I'll water the petunias, they look a little dry :).  Happy Earth Day!  I am big into the environment as well, and believe I try to do my part to keep the earth clean and green for the next generation.

Hope you get to feeling better (emotionally) soon! 

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

NancyMc

« Reply #207 on: April 22, 2009, 03:21:39 pm »
Darn, Ernie, you made me get all teary eyed.  You should be in counseling, not weather.
Steroid taper has sapped the energy.  And oh, the tinnitus has kicked in.
I spent the day working in the garden, napping, working in the garden, napping, working in the garden, and now it's time for a cold one and guacamole.  Ole, ole, ole!

joebloggs

« Reply #208 on: April 22, 2009, 04:23:57 pm »
Darlingest Nancy,

You look great I think - ready to take on the world 'roid free!  Whoop whoop for that!  Do you find you can't open your mouth that far to take big bites?  I found that - I could only take tiny bites for a few weeks because my jaw wouldn't open that far... unfortunately all that is changed and my mouth is now as big as ever!  The days of the tiny bite diet are over!!  I know progress for you will keep happening, particularly over the next little while so you'll be in great spirits and your kilted boy will come back which will be even better!  So much to look forward to!!

xxx
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2009, 05:08:03 pm »
Hi there Nancy:  I am so happy to see that the eye on your 'weakened' face side looks nothing like mine did.
My eye had a 'skeletal' look, wide open - yours does not.  Also,  you still have tone on the paralyzed side.
Be patient, patient, patient,  because your face will come back.   

For this we do the puppy dance,  but I don't know how to get the puppy - Capt. Deb does ! !

Always  good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis