Author Topic: ANOTHER NEWBIE  (Read 7750 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
Re: ANOTHER NEWBIE
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 03:04:32 pm »
Welcome Peggy,
We are here for you.. lean on us. Ask lots of questions.
Hugs Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

GARZAP

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 05:02:18 pm »
Thanks Kathy, yours was probably one of the stories that led me to confirm with House, and Dr Friedman.  I can't say how much I appreciate this forum.  Nobody wants this to happen to them, but if it has to happen, we all want the best care.  I really appreciate the tips about the restaurant and the flea market, we will try to go if I'm up to it. 

If anyone else wants to offer advice about things to do post-surgery it would be appreciated.  Has anyone gone on the LACity tours?  We were thinking about trying to do the 5 1/2 hour tour they offer. 

We have reservations at Seton Hall.  Do the bathrooms there have showers?  Also, I heard that there is no pharmacy on sight...does anyone know how far away one is??  We won't have a car.  How much $ are taxi's??

I'm now at the point where I just want to get this over with, and hoping for the best outcome.  I will write here about my surgery so that others can make their choices.  Thanks again to all of you.

Peggy
Less than 2 cm L AN discovered 02/09 on MRI due to noticed hearing loss.  No other symptoms.  Surgery 4/14/09 Drs. Friedman, Swartz, and Stefan of House Ear Clinic, LA,CA....my heros.  Retro surgery, no loss of hearing or facial nerve or any complications so far (ten days post op)

cindyj

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 06:32:37 pm »
Hello again - yes, Seton Hall has showers - they even have shower chairs you can put in there.  If there's not one in your room when you arrive, just ask for one.  I actually had to switch rooms and the second one we were in had a built-in seat in the shower. 

There is a pharmacy right in the House Clinic building which is directly across the street from the hospital - very convenient.

Know just what you mean about being ready to just get going and get it done!  Once the decision was made and the surgery date set, I was quite ready to be done with it all.  You'll be a postie, though, before you know it.  We arrived in LA two days before surgery in order to be able to tour the town the day before pre-op appointments.  I had the unbelievable privilege of being accompanied by one of our very own forumites, Nancy (NL), on a tour of LA. Hollywood, various attractions in between and on out to the Pacific.  Was SO great!  Hopefully, you'll be able to catch up with some of the LA folks - they usually at least try to meet up w/ people on their pre-op day in the St. Vincent's cafeteria. 

Best to you,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 01:21:51 pm »
Hi again Peggy,
If you can, I would recommend renting a car while you are in L.A.  Parking should be either free or low cost to you while you are at the hospital & at Seton Hall.  This way, whoever is with you will have transportation if they feel the need to "get away" for a quick meal somewhere other than the hospital/Seton Hall; they can even pick up a few groceries or whatever, to fix at Seton Hall.  At one point while I was in the hospital, I URGED my husband & sister to go out to dinner....two reasons...one, they needed to be away from the hospital for a while....two, I needed them to be away for a while!  ;D
Also, when you are at the guest house & able to get around town a little, having the car will be a blessing.  You & your loved ones can get around and see things like China Town, go to places farther away than you would in a taxi, see the ocean, etc.
Wishing you the best experiences possible during your AN journey,
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

OTO

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 08:38:31 pm »
GARZAP

There is a pharmacy in the House Clinic building and one in the St Vincent's Physician Office Building.    The problem will be on what time and day you get discharged from the Hospital.  They give you the prescriptions as part of your discharge paper work (for me it was painkillers, anti-naseua and sleeping pills).   I got discharged on saturday around 4 p.m. so both of them were closed.    My father asked the nurses, and they pointed him to a Rite-Aid pharmacy that was open.  However, it was a good 30 minute walk (one way)...   My father took the walk, while I slept.

While recovering most of the time we ate in the Hospital cafeteria, but that got boring.   When I could we would walk to a nearby Thai/Chinese restaurant, and one or two fast food type places.   Burger King is right across from the Hospital (I did have a craving for milk shakes).    The TV channel selection isn't that great and the video tapes in the TV room are dated....  however, it was good enough for me, because I slept most of the time...

suboo73

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 03:36:58 am »
Hi Peggy,  Here's another big 'welcome' to the forum from me!  (But sorry you had to join this club!)
I have selected W & W for now, so i don't know much about surgery....  Sounds like you will go to very experienced docs, and that's what i would do!

My thoughts and prayers are with you now and through your surgery.
Please keep us posted on your progress.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

NL

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 01:21:34 am »
Hi Peggy,

Welcome to the forum from another House alumni!

I also had a retro with Drs. Friedman and Schwartz eight months ago and am doing great - you have a great team!

As Lori and Cindy mentioned, David (LADavid), Lainie and I all live in the LA area and all had our surgeries at House. We try to meet with others traveling to House for their surgeries to answer any questions or just give them a proper LA welcome. If you'd like to meet, please send me a PM and we'll set something up. If you have a tight schedule, we can always meet you for a quick lunch on your pre-op day at one of our usual spots - the St. Vincent's cafeteria.  :)

Sorry for the reason you joined the forum, but you couldn't find a better place to get lots of answers and incredible support.

All the best,

Nancy L
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan