Author Topic: It's official, I am now a member........  (Read 3598 times)

southpaw

• Yes, I am left-handed. Gotta problem with that?
It's official, I am now a member........
« on: April 02, 2009, 05:30:06 pm »
It's official, I am now a member of the AN club.  It only took 2 years and three MRI's to confirm it, though I have had the symptoms for 3 years.  My AN is relatively small, 3mm x 3mm x 2mm.  So far, my ENT recommends a watch and wait approach.  I have to agree, I have enough natural holes in my head, I don't need any man made ones (for now).
AN 3mm x 3mm x 2mm diagnosed March, 2009.
Symptomatic since June, 2006.
Currently in the watch & wait holding pattern.

microsoftfree

Re: It's official, I am now a member........
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 05:44:33 pm »
Welcome from a recently diagnosed non ANer! I agree with you that I don't need any more holes either! I was just relieved that the MRI actually saw a brain in there! ;)

Becky

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 05:48:24 pm »
Hi Southpaw,

Sorry you have to become a member, but welcome to this wonderful support system.  Just curious about some more details....symptoms, location, etc.  I watched my AN for about 2 1/2 years.  My AN was found by accident, and I didn't have any symptoms so to speak.  Only decided on treatment when it started growing.  I had gamma knife on Oct. 21, 2008, and I am doing just fine.  Hopefully all will go well with you.

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

southpaw

• Yes, I am left-handed. Gotta problem with that?
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 07:37:45 pm »
Symptoms, well let me see. My symptoms today are continuous tinnitus, occasional unsteadiness and of course the hearing loss.

A brief history: In May, 2006, I had a physical as part of my application to the local police department. The hearing test indicated a slight deficit in my right ear.  The doctor didn't think this was anything important as I had had a head cold the week before.  Over the next few months I noticed that my right ear was ringing continuously.  In September found that my right side hearing had really diminished.  Went to an ENT my brother recommended.  Audio tests showed that my right ear could hear low and high frequency but not mid range.  Also had an ABR test.  ABR showed that my right auditory nerve wasn't transmitting like it should.  Had an MRI (with gadolinium) in October '06 (inconclusive).  Had another MRI in June '08, this one showed something but just barely. Had a third MRI in February.  This one showed a, "3x3x2 right intracanicular tumor most likely a vestibular schwannoma in proximity to the cochlear aperture."

AN 3mm x 3mm x 2mm diagnosed March, 2009.
Symptomatic since June, 2006.
Currently in the watch & wait holding pattern.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 08:28:31 pm »
Hello Southpaw,

Looks like you discovered your AN pretty early on.  The decision of watch and wait versus radiation versus surgery is one we all struggle with.  I had the same symptoms as you, tinnitus and hearing loss, although my loss was in the high tones only.

We have others here who are in watch and wait status who are doing great.  Most AN's will continue to grow and have to be treated eventually, but there have been cases where AN's stop growing and never have to be dealt with.

In any case, welcome to our group and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 08:31:39 pm »
WELCOME...while I am sure that you don't WANT an AN, you are glad to finally have the diagnosis!!  Make  yourself at home here and ask anything you would like - we are here to help your journey go a little smoother!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

kenneth_k

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 07:16:28 am »
Hi Southpaw,

welcome to the club. I'm sorry you have an AN, but I'm glad it was caught early. You have options, which I'm sure you have already been told. When it is intracanicular there is a good chance it won't grow, or at least grow veeery slow.

Feel free to ask any question. Folks here at this forum are really nice and offer good advice.

Best regards, Kenneth

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 08:59:48 am »
Hello Southpaw - and welcome, although like the rest of us, I'm sure you would rather not have had a reason to Googleâ„¢ 'acoustic neuroma' online.  Well, here you are and I'm pleased that you found us.  :)

Fortunately, the MRI scan finally discovered your AN in an early stage of growth and you have options; from traditional surgery to endoscopic surgery to various forms of irradiation to simple observation ('watch-and-wait').  Unfortunately, the exact location of the AN is often more problematic than the actual size so you may choose to address it sooner rather than later if the symptoms become too intrusive on your lifestyle. However, whatever option you choose to address the tumor, the odds are good that it will be effectively removed or destroyed and, in time this will all pass and you can go on living your life.

The good news is that you've discovered a world of information, help and support here.  The ANA can send you a very informative packet of information and of course, the many folks that populate these message boards stand ready to offer whatever they can - which is a lot - in the way of advice and support.   Don't be a stranger!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 08:02:43 am »
Congratulations on joining a wonderful group of people, Southpaw!

Hope to see you around the forum.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways