Author Topic: Mary Tyler Moore  (Read 6009 times)

Cheryl R

Mary Tyler Moore
« on: May 13, 2011, 07:20:49 am »
It is in the news that Mary Tyler Moore is having or has had surgery for a menigioma.  (sp?)      It was said she has had it for some time.        My guess is/was at House but who knows and we may hear in time.     She is 74 and she is one that I think of as being young forever.            I hope she does well and we hear more about her.            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Mary Tyler Moore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 12:41:27 pm »
Cheryl ~

Thanks for this update that we can easily relate to abased on the fact that almost everyone over a certain age can remember Mary Tyler Moore, she of the big bright smile and chipper personalit.  She was the co-star of the d*** Van Dyke show (1961-66), playing 'Laura Petrie', a perky, occasionally inadvertently funny wife on a show that mirrored the then-new suburban lifestyle and, of course, her near-iconic role as the deliberately single, independent-but-insecure, charmingly optimistic and occasionally naive 'Mary Richards', news writer for fictional ' WJM TV' under the tutelage of her curmudgeon boss, the old pro, 'Lou Grant' (Ed Asner in a role he was made for).  The 'Mary Tyler Moore Show' ran for seven seasons (1970-77) and I remember it well.  I can recall watching it with my new bride on our black-and-white TV.  It was one of our favorites.  In 1980, Mary Tyler Moore co-starred in a great movie centered around a teenage boy's struggle with guilt that manifests itself in suicidal thoughts and how his upscale parents cope.  Moore played a woman almost totally opposite from her perky TV characters and was outstanding, if not exactly sympathetic.  She was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress but did not win.  However, the film received a Best Picture Academy Award.

At 74, Mary Tyler Moore remains active and of course, I send good thoughts and prayers to her as she faces this surgery.  

Jim  
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 01:42:17 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 01:39:22 pm »
The CNN website has a brief video by Dr. Sanjay Gupta on menigiomas, with regard to the Mary Tyler Moore surgery. All the reports I've seen have referenced an "undisclosed location" for her surgery.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

opp2

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 07:40:03 pm »
I read about that too, and I read 'benign brain tumour' and thought AN for sure...Menigioma though... You kids got it rough. Best wishes to MTM!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

lori67

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 08:08:31 pm »
I've always loved her!  Especially on the d*** Van Dyke show.

I hope she does well.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jill Marie

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 08:51:57 pm »
Thanks for posting this Cheryl.  I was reading about her last night.  Loved watching her shows.  They mentioned her in the news this morning, they called it elective surgery, that bothered me.  I consider elective surgery to be nose jobs, etc. not a benign tumor removal.  Hope she does well!  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 08:48:17 pm »
Kept watching for her here at HEI/St. Vincent's, but no go.  I'm sure if she had been here, we would have been the last to know it.

Hope she does well.  Used to never miss the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Cheryl R

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 09:29:09 pm »
Todays Sun paper said she did well past surgery which was 4 hrs long and she will not need any more treatment.      Still didn't say where but I bet she is there.       Is there a Presdential Suite?           I am so happy that you are doing so well!
                                                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

kraynok2

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 04:42:31 pm »
I've been home recuperating from my recent parotid gland surgery and my mom called to tell me about Mary Tyler Moore.  I've watched her for a long time.  (Telling my age!   ;D )  Mom thought it was an AN, but then called back and said it was something else she couldn't remember.  It's funny that since my AN operation iin November, my mom is picking up on AN news all the time.  I hope Mary Tyler Moore does well.  Sandy

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 05:16:41 pm »
Guess everyone is going to have to refer to her show with Mr. van Dyke as the Richard  Van Dyke show!!   
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 06:10:22 pm »
Haha I noticed that too, Sue. Seems kinda strange considering it is a bona fide name.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 08:54:40 pm »
Guess everyone is going to have to refer to her show with Mr. van Dyke as the Richard  Van Dyke show!!   

LOL  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 05:51:49 pm »
another site I go to has foul language edit that would turn it into Richard Van Dyke ...

Sandy , my mom told me about MTM and at the same time a giant 20 foot  snake in Mississippi displaced by open flood gates that was tormenting a neighborhood ...
turned out to be a real 20 foot long snake but it was  in Australia and was a hoax ... she was more interested in the snake ...but anytime she hears about anyone with any type brain tumor she calls to talk to me about it and see how I am feeling
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery