Author Topic: Transear and sound localization  (Read 2056 times)

jerseygirl

Transear and sound localization
« on: March 30, 2009, 03:56:19 pm »
Hi everybody,

I have been SSD for 20 years and started wearing Transear on and off last year. Usually, I can't localize sound, that is, all sounds come from the good side only. I use a variety of techniques to localize sound, like trying to understand and see where the sound might be from. Now this takes only a couple of seconds (before it took longer), so to an untrained observer I just might seem a little slow. With Transear I found that I turned my head in the direction of the sound instantaneously ( I localized the sound correctly) on more than one occasion.

I wonder what everybody's experience is in that regard with Transear or BAHA.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
Re: Transear and sound localization
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 04:20:46 pm »
Get the BAHA had the transear 380 hf for about 3 weeks no comparasion Baha in my opinion. Had my consult with just the head band demo and wow surgery here I come it was like surround sound then hearing under water like with trans ear
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 07:07:17 pm »
Eve I am sooo happy for you and jealous too. The transear is not available in Canada yet. I am soooooo looking forward to it!
Glad things are working for you. My sister in law (43 yrs old) lost her hearing because of the mumps when she was 2. I told her about the transear and she is very excited as well. It is a good thing we are deaf in opposite ears - makes seating at family dinners interesting.
Michelle  ::)
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 08:29:31 pm »
I never tried the TransEar, but just this evening I was marveling once again at my BAHA. 

After Easter dinner my daughter and I took a walk and she was on my "bad" side (left).  I was wearing my BAHA and could hear every word she said.  It was a huge difference from just a year ago when I would have been unable to hear her and would have had to physically move her to my right side.   This was usually a conversation stopper for her because she's get so frustrated at my SSD.  Needless to say I would get frustrated also. 

Sometimes it's just the little things in life that make all the difference. 

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways