Author Topic: Recovery not as quick as I thought  (Read 8834 times)

mike

Re: Recovery not as quick as I thought
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 03:00:56 am »
I'm 52 and 3 years post-op.  Was in great shape prior to this and worked two jobs (RR at night and legal videographer during the day).  Balance is still very poor and on most days I walk like a drunk.  Ringing is more like SCREAMING in my right ear.  I can bike for 20 miles but barely walk across the room w/o falling or stumbling.  Please note though that I an VERY CAREFUL in turning my head or eyes and do so very slowly!!  I find myself with pretty bad headaches at least three or more days a week.  Some memory problems and a LOT of depression.  I'm off on medical disability (RR won't let me come back with balance issues) so my financial issues are mounting by the minute!  Vertigo and double vision when I lay down add to the mix.  Absolutely can not work on my back underneath something w/o becoming sick at the stomach.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 02:46:07 pm »
Mike,

Are you on any meds to help with the balance issues?  Also for the tinitus have you thought of tinitus retraining therapy?  Check out this site: http://www.eskimo.com/~carol/T/ah.html
I have heard of some posters trying herbal supps for the memory loss and reduced caffine. 

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

mike

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 03:09:51 pm »
Yes, my primary care physician as well as ENT have tried numerous medications, all to no avail.  I'll query the ENT re. the TRT the next time I see him (late this month).  Thanks for the information.

Jack Palmer

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2005, 12:11:38 pm »
Mike, I saw your post and really feel I can give you some insight. If you had an approach other than trans-lab, it sounds to me like the surgeons may not have gotten all of the balance fibers cut when they did your surgery. From what I understand, the nerves are fairly discrete within the internal canal, but the auditory and balance nerves become harder to distinguish from one another closer to the brain. This means that occassionally the surgeon will mistake a balance fiber for a hearing fiber and leave it behind. This leaves you with conflicting input from each side of your head. Believe me, I've been there. I had a similar experience after radiation treatment. William Hitselberger at House Clinic in LA is known for "Hitsleberger's Rule" which basically comes down to erring on the side of cutting all the balance function because a patient with a little hearing loss but no dizziness will be the happy patient. One thing that I would definitely do is to get gentimicin injections into your tumor side ear. A series of these will kill off the remaining vestibular (balance) function on that side. Talk to an ENT about that. I hope this helps. - Jack

mike

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2005, 12:56:14 pm »
Thanks for the information.  I will certainly consult with someone as soon as possible, but situation is becoming critical.  Can't afford car insurance means that I now am selling my car.  Can't afford a telephone so I turned that off as well.  Tough part is there are no doctors within walking distance.

So I can go loaded for bear, would you please tell me your source on the information you supplied?  Like so many others I have seen write here, the doctor is becoming more and more defensive by the day, despite my reassuring him of my intentions.

Please do so off-line at mikemoulton@charter.net.

Thanks again.