Author Topic: Age and Treatment  (Read 5360 times)

microsoftfree

Age and Treatment
« on: March 27, 2009, 06:55:53 pm »
I hope it's okay to ask a question here since I haven't even been diagnosed.

I have been reading about people in W&W for several years? So does that mean that the older you are, if the AN is small and not growing, you may never have to do anything about it? Is this at least a possibility?

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: Age and Treatment
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 07:00:22 pm »
Absolutely!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

OTO

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 08:06:52 pm »
Since surgery always has some risk, and the results of radiation treatment can be gradual, factors such as age, overall health, current symptoms, size of AN and growth rate can be considered while choosing your treatment...

microsoftfree

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 08:21:02 pm »
I'll be 60 in May!! ;D ;)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 11:37:07 am »
I have been reading about people in W&W for several years? So does that mean that the older you are, if the AN is small and not growing, you may never have to do anything about it? Is this at least a possibility?

It's definitely a possibility.  Theoretically, the older you are, the slower your AN grows.  I say "theoretically" because that's generally - but not always - true.

The important thing is to monitor your AN through periodic MRIs to see what it's doing.  You might want to discuss this with your doctor and see what he recommends.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

microsoftfree

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 12:21:16 pm »
The wait for the diagnosis must be the most gut-wrenching. At least if you know you have an AN, size, location, etc. I would think that the W&W wouldn't be as bad?

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 08:41:29 am »
Wait and watch was a blast!  I pretended it didn't exist.  I wrote it a good-bye poem after the second annual MRI, telling it that it would not define my life.  I did that when I finally got my inflammatory arthritis under control, too.  It works!  Mind over matter and all that.
As I've said before, when Dr. McKenna told me I'd have to have it out some day, I walked out of his office and said, Oh, no I won't!  Unfortunately, he was right.  But I got through raising my children, moving to my final resting place, finishing construction (well, a little more painting to do, but I do that when I'm not on this forum), meeting the man with whom I want to spend the rest of my life . . .  All of that might have been disrupted by the process I /have been/am undergoing in these past and future months.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 02:36:41 pm »
I hope it's okay to ask a question here since I haven't even been diagnosed.

Becky ~

I'm not sure that 60 is a 'Get-Out-Of-AN-Surgery-Free number.  I was 63 when I received my AN diagnosis - and my doctor told me it had probably been growing for "10 or 15 years".  He immediately scheduled my surgery.  I suspect that the aging process may slow AN growth a bit but generally, as I understand it, if your AN is not growing you probably have no or few (and relatively minor) symptoms, making 'Watch-and-Wait a viable alternative.  I also believe that surgeons are somewhat reluctant to perform this kind of lengthy, arduous and sometimes problematic surgery on elderly patients.  This becomes especially important if the elderly patient has other medical problems, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.  Hypothetically, if your AN remains 'stable' (doesn't grow) and you don't suffer from AN-related symptoms, I doubt a surgeon would 'push' surgery on you (well, I would certainly hope not).   However, 60 is not 'elderly'.  :)

Jim     
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

microsoftfree

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 03:12:01 pm »
Jim, I don't know if I want to hate you for bursting my bubble or thank you for the compliment!  ;D

Becky

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 03:26:56 pm »
Becky,

First of all, of course it's OK to ask a question on the board !!!  I think the only qualification for being on the board or asking a question is having heard of the term "acoustic neuroma" or "vestibular schwannoma"!!

It seems to me that all options are available to any age person, that the options are only truly restricted by the presense of a threatening symptom ... eg, positiioned so that it is pushing on the balance or facial nerve such that your life is dramatically effected, or something like that.   

Just my two cents ...

Take care,
Dana

1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

TOM101

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 05:22:56 pm »
I was just reading some information today and it said that once the An reaches 10mm it will very rarely stop growing. Under 10mm can be very slow and dormant for years.
This article woke me up again as I have not thought about my 15mm for a few months since my MRI but I know I need to do something soon before I will have possible complications at 20mm. I'm 68 in excellent health and growth after 10mm is between 1mm and 2mm a year so waiting till something else kills me is not an option. Now days when they mean older I would not worry with a 15mm if I was 85 and up maybe.
I have looked at tumor shrinking research and even tried Propolis but can't get any real positive information about stopping the growth.
Hope this helps.

Keeping Up

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 05:36:12 pm »
I agree - and age doesn't really matter with these suckers.

The key item is small and preferably intracanicular.  It seems the larger tumors or those mainly in the CPA have more of a tendency to grow.

I am 37 years old - and my ENT has some faith that my tumor will never grow and I might not need treatment EVER.  Obviously, if I was 60+, with a small intracanicular tumor, he would be more confident on the nEVER .  However, there is a strong belief on his side that I mightn't ever need to seek treatment, and that this sucker mightn't grow much at all, but definitely less than 1mm/year.  (Hearing will disintegrate - so this isn't a free ride!) 

So, as long as symptoms remain mild (I had a recent spell with dizziness, more than likely AN related, but very mild), he is pretty confident I just might make 10 years.  I should most definitely make 3-5 years as long as symptoms stay at bay.

My first 6 month MRI is in late May so we shall see.

The GK radiation oncologist put forth the same opinion.  My appointment with the neurosurgeon is at the beginning of June.

Good luck

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'