Author Topic: COPING WITH SYMPTOMS PRIOR TO TREATMENT  (Read 5376 times)

Vivian B.

COPING WITH SYMPTOMS PRIOR TO TREATMENT
« on: March 22, 2009, 01:34:04 pm »
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to cope with symptoms of blocking of the ear, as if you are under water. Earache not so bad, headaches not so bad, but plugging very uncomfortable. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Keeping Up

Re: COPING WITH SYMPTOMS PRIOR TO TREATMENT
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 02:09:05 pm »
I mentioned this in another post - wasn't sure if it is common or not, similar to 'airplane' ear.  It happens to me several times a day, sometimes up to 10 minutes at a time.

My ENT said it was just par for the course.  Mine isn't bothersome other than a bit of sound muffling so I pretty much ignore for now.  I guess it could all change if it becomes more burdensome (and any other AN symptoms).

I mentioned this as well - what causes it.  Airplane ear (and I think water ear) have something to do with the pressure within the Eustacian tube (s/p???) but ANs should have little to nothing to do with that part of the ear.

I might be way off base if not airplane ear.

All the best.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 02:42:09 pm »
"A feeling of fullness" is how it has been described by ENTs sometimes. Not that it helps any.

My neurotologist said that it is not due to temporary closing of the eustachian tube, which is what happens in airplanes. That is relieved by yawning or chewing gum, actions that tend to open the tube again so the pressure can equalize. (This was after 3 months of all sorts of meds and nasal sprays attempting to unblock it before I was finally diagnosed, of course).

In fact he said it may be due to a reverse effect, where the hearing is muffled by some mischief the AN is up to, pressing on the nerve or artery for instance. The ear is tuned to detect slight changes in hearing, and may "interpret" them as a change in pressure, signaling your brain to try yawning or jaw wiggles in an effort to clear it. Any sort of inflammation around the hearing organs can probably produce this effect.

I don't know if I really buy it, but that was the gist of his explanation. It sure feels like pressure to me.

Steve
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 02:49:01 pm by sgerrard »
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Vivian B.

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 04:15:04 pm »
Thank you both for replying. I can see you both understand where I am coming from. I was also on nasal spray for a couple of months. My ENT even told me to pop my ears every half hour to relieve pressure. I guess we all go through the same think. I think it has to do with the sensitive nerves in that area.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 04:37:44 pm »
I will add that while I still occasionally experience this, it is far less often since treatment. When it happens now, I take an Ibuprofen and it goes away quickly.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

mk

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 07:27:11 pm »
Steve's explanation is very valid. I actually experienced an episode of fullness/blocking, together with increased tinnitus two weeks ago. I took ibuprophen, 3 x 400 mgs for 3 days and it cleared up. In extreme cases, where this becomes very bothersome and/or is accompanied by hearing loss you should talk to your doctor. A course of steroids may help.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Vivian B.

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 07:29:45 pm »
Hi Marianna,

Thanks for replying. I guess we all experience pretty much the same symptoms. Talk to you soon.

Vivian

Mickey

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 08:28:24 pm »
Over the past few years I`ve experienced this on a few occasions. One time I took a course of steriods which worked fine. Another time I took benedryl which also worked fine. The last time I just waited and it went away on its own. I know that if I do take an airplane I chew gum which will help but there is no gaurentee. In any case with me it seems to have come and gone. Going into my second year W+W at this stage a very minor issue. Good Luck, Mickey

tsl

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 01:29:51 pm »
Hi Vivian,
"Fullness of the ear" was one of the first symptoms that I had a problem.  It drove me CRAZY.  Although I still have this and tinnitus thrown in, I have to say that it's not as aggravating to me.  I think that, for the most part,  I've gotten use to it.  Hang in there.
-Theresa
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

Vivian B.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 04:32:33 pm »
Thank you both for replying. I guess i's something we ge used to.

Vivian