Author Topic: How and when do I get a CD?  (Read 5029 times)

microsoftfree

How and when do I get a CD?
« on: March 21, 2009, 01:44:07 pm »
I've seen a lot of posts about getting a cd of the MRI, but how do I get one? Do I take a cd with me to the MRI or will they give me one later? Do I ask for one before the NRI or after? When I had my knee surgery, I missed the opportunity of getting a VHS of the surgery because I didn't take a blank with me. Since I'm having 2 different MRIs and 2 MRAs, do I need 4 cds? Should I take a CDR or CDRW?

sgerrard

Re: How and when do I get a CD?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 01:58:46 pm »
I would guess most MRI labs would be able to make you a CD, and would have the blanks. Mine did. Some might want to charge you for it, but mine was free. I can just call up, and go pick it up the next day. I would call the lab and ask.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

microsoftfree

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 02:45:33 pm »
Thanks, Steve. I'll ask when I make the appointment on Monday.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 03:36:07 pm »
I just called the imaging department and they made me a CD and didn't charge me for it.  A week ago I called and requested the black films (for my surgeon) and they made all those for me, also no charge. 
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 05:03:20 am »
I get a cd with every MRI that they do.  Its great I can load it up and scroll through slice for slice, up-down, front-to-back, and left to right.  Here in Germany though almost everything is paid for.

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Keeping Up

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 05:16:29 pm »
Good question

I have a nasty 22 day wait post the next MRI - so was thinking about getting the CD of the slides and taking a peak.  I assume I should be able to get the November one at the same time (or maybe phone and request it sooner).  While I mightn't be able to diagnose/make a decision on my own just looking at the MRI, I will at least know if the sucker has grown in those 22 days before my appointment.

I might phone the lab this week to do a dry run on the thing!

dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 07:25:24 pm »
I asked for 2 different copies of my MRI.  Got them from the MRI place the next day, free of charge.  Like everyone else said, these places have tons of blank CD's.  You shouldn't have to do anything but ask :)

-Amy
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

tsl

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 01:22:54 pm »
The best advice I ever got was from a fellow Aner at a support group meeting.  She said to always get a copy of your MRI and also request a copy of the report written by the the Dr. who reads it.  My hospital gives a CD copy of the MRI free.  I do have to sign a form in order to get a copy of the report.
-Theresa
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 02:59:26 pm »
Just adding to the chorus...mine was also free.  The hospital staff were happy to accommodate.
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

microsoftfree

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 03:37:54 am »
Thanks everyone. I think having a copy of the report would be really helpful, too, and wouldn't have even thought about it especially if something IS there. I would imagine that I'll forget half of what he tells me because my ability to concentrate is so bad right now. I can't decide whether or not I want to even look at it before I see him, though. He told me he'd call me 5 days after the MRI and it will seem like an eternity. Of course, if I know beforehand what the result is, it would allow me to prepare a list of questions to ask if it is positive for AN or for something else, too.

To look or not to look, THAT is the question...lol

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 05:54:11 am »
Hi MSFree,

Just fyi only.... I always get the paper copy of report as well as films/scans. I have had to check with my docs first (the MRI center that does my scans is separate from all of the docs on my team).  Some of my docs don't read off CD's but off regular films, so you may want to check with the docs first to see if they read off films, off CD's, etc, so you know which to ask for at your MRI center.  They usually will give you the first set of scans for free but may charge for add'l copies. I always have films and 2 CD's burned and over time, since I've had so many scans done there over the years (and unfortunately, frequently for multiple ailments), they now give all of my scans to me for free :)

Just my 2 cents.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

microsoftfree

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 10:28:46 am »
Ok, so got the MRIs this morning. I can get a copy of the report once I've seen the doc. They don't do cd's at this facility, but DID give me the films...first set is free.

And now I'm confused/concerned a little. The doc is getting ONLY the report. She told me this prior to the MRI so can't use that as any indication of what she saw. I was taken aback a little that the DOC doesn't even look at the films himself. Now he isn't a surgeon, but just a neurologist so maybe that's it? I don't know, but makes me a little uneasy that a tech will determine my outcome. Could have gotten that from a regular doctor?

Anyway, of course I looked at them. How do you know which one is with and which is w/o contrast? I picked out the two that were exactly alike, but in each image on one set has a "C" in each frame. However, the other has brighter spots with no "C". I am assuming the "c" stands for contrast? For example, my eyeballs are really bright in one set where they are dark on the other set.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 10:54:21 am »
My MRI films actually said "with gadolinium" on the ones that were with contrast.

I was instructed, by my ENT, to pick up my films and carry them in with me to my appointment.  The doctor did not receive them automatically, just the report.  I guess the report was not included in your set.  I didn't ask for the report, but it was inside the large envelope.

I would bring the films with you to your appointment.  That way, if there is something in the report, he can put up the correct film and point it out to you.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

microsoftfree

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 11:08:21 am »
I would bring the films with you to your appointment.  That way, if there is something in the report, he can put up the correct film and point it out to you.

Excellent idea. One reason I didn't have  report included is that it hasn't been made yet. How it went down was that I asked if I could get a cd of the MRIs or is that something I would get from the doc. Then she explained that they only do films and the doc will only get the report. So then asked about getting the films.

Also, I want to ask if anyone had pain in their AN ear with the MRI? The one they did with contrast hurt that side and also threw me into another imbalance issue. Had to sit for a few minutes afterwards before I could safely walk and took a pill when I got home. I'm thinking maybe it was "all in my head" (no pun intended) and just a lot of stress.

No mention of gadolinium, just the "C".

At least I'm closer to knowing!

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 11:17:43 am »
My report was on my CD along with the pictures.  Plug that thing in and see what's on there!  My ENT got the CD and printed out the report from it.  I hope you can get some answers soon!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"