Author Topic: ANers Mind Exercises  (Read 3264 times)

anissa

• My Journey
Re: ANers Mind Exercises
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 10:36:13 pm »
Cathy (Dog Lover) sounds like you've had a great recovery.  I love computers, what a fun job programming must be!  I am sure you have crazy amounts of language and jargon to remember, that is fantastic that you're back at it.  Now that would be mind exercising/bending for sure!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

sgerrard

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 12:07:00 am »
I'm not sure that I knew before that Cathy Dog Lover was a programmer. I take note, since that is also my occupation. I also experienced "brain lag" after treatment, and didn't feel all the way back up to 100% for 3-6 months. It certainly did seem that working at it helped it along, though.

The strange thing about the crazy amounts of language and jargon is that it all starts to seem reasonable and ordinary after a while, so that programmers end up wondering why everyone else doesn't know all this stuff too. The real challenge at work for me is trying to work the copy machine - it has all sorts of icons and sub menus, so I just hit the green button and hope I get 1 copy. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 01:00:10 am »
I agree whole-heartedly with Kaybo.

It seems the faster you get back to your normal routine the faster you recover - unusual circumstances not withstanding.

So I guess my "mind exercises" post op were getting back to my paying job and my more imporant job (being a mom).

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 07:54:29 pm »
The strange thing about the crazy amounts of language and jargon is that it all starts to seem reasonable and ordinary after a while, so that programmers end up wondering why everyone else doesn't know all this stuff too. The real challenge at work for me is trying to work the copy machine - it has all sorts of icons and sub menus, so I just hit the green button and hope I get 1 copy.

Steve, that is so funny..but so true. The thing that I know next to nothing about right now is iTunes. (I know...dumb). That is the one thing on my list of things that I need to just sit down and figure it out....now just to find the time to do it! LOL.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Keri

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 09:33:43 pm »
Hi Anissa,
This doesn't have anything to do with mind exercises, but i read on one of your posts that you would try to stay in the hospital a few days and not rush out (because of kids' care, etc). I totally agree with that. I know it's hard to sleep in the hospital, the food is yuck and there's no place like home, but I found as soon as i got home, i felt like i needed to be doing stuff! (have three kids - they're all teenagers and were pitching in a lot more, but one is autistic and is kind of like taking care of a big toddler). I still rested, but felt like i needed to contribute to doing laundry, cleaning, etc. I was in ICU for 5 days. Of course it wasn't ideal, but the care was great, i always went back to sleep after being awakened at all hours (teaching hospital so it seemed like the residents were in at all hours checking everything). I was so out of it anyway.

Plus, if your kids are little and they see you at home, they won't always understand that 'mommy needs to rest!'

So, take it easy and take care!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 10:59:14 pm »
Keri, EXACTLY!   ;D
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Keri

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 08:36:36 pm »
Hi Anissa,
I saw the picture of your family on the AN community thread where people are now posting pictures. What a nice family!
I figure I'll learn how to post pictures on this thing one of these days, maybe about the time Cathy (dog lover) figures out iTunes!
(I know Jan and maybe others have listed in great detail how to do this - I just hate reading directions, or I can't find them when I need them!)

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!