Author Topic: SML (Scarlett's) updates  (Read 51051 times)

joebloggs

Re: SML (Scarlett's) updates
« Reply #150 on: April 04, 2009, 09:01:19 pm »
Weirdos rock!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Keri

« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2009, 09:15:04 pm »
Hi Scarlett,
It is good to hear how you're doing. You and Rich  spend a lot of time writing / encouraging others, so it's nice to hear how you are.

Nancy,
I'm a bit over 2 mths post op. First week - yuck, I can't even remember. Week 2 - getting headaches (bad ones) esp when tense (like once I went out in the cold wind and i tensed up so much that I got a headache that lasted forever), but in week 2 getting out some and walking which made me feel better.  Just had to take it easy and rest. Week 3 - thought that was the magical week where I'd feel all better. Some days I did, but still got some headaches and needed to rest. Started running again in week 3 (albeit very slowly). I think that's when I started driving. Weeks 4 to now - I think I've just progressively gotten better, but still get tired and require more sleep. I still have facial weakness, but that's improving.
I never had restrictions like Ernie, in fact, my doctor seemed almost too low key. I said "when can I drive?"  "when you feel like it." "When can i run?" same answer. Then he said, "OK, wait till the 3rd week.
With gardening, if it's something ou enjoy and brings you relaxation, then hopefully that will be the same in your recovery. I can't imagine though that you'd want to dig up big bushes or schlep trees around to plant or anything like that!

Oh, and in week 11 or so, watch out, I'm going to be driving from NH to Boston, to Worcester to Boston, to NH etc. by myself! Hopefully that won't be  a detriment to my recovery! Nancy, at the luncheon you and Scarlett should get the most comfy seats!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

vossman

« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2009, 12:00:12 am »
Scarlett and Rich,

Glad to hear that the recovery is going well.  You both are so supportive of other people going through this journey it has been an inspiration to me.  Rich I hope that I can be as supportive to Anissa that you are to Scarlett.  I have to say that I took your words to heart when you said that it would benefit yourself as much as everyone else to tell the story.  I found the updating to be a great way to occupy time as well as get it off my chest.  It is really neat to have all the support and information on this forum and it has been invaluable for us.  I wish you both well on the recovery journey and I thank you for your inspiration to others.

Chris
Chris
Anissa's other half

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2009, 06:50:10 am »
Okay, Keri.  I'll try to stay mellow.  I just looked out at my perennial bed and saw all the pruning that needs to be done.  Guess that will have to wait.  Somewhere I read that bending over, stooping, etc. are off limits for a while, Ernie, I think.  But Scarlett, who has the same docs as I, was not given those restrictions.  I don't want my brain to fall out or to get really bad headaches, so I guess I'll just experiment.  I'm starting to think that managing swelling with steroids and watching for infection are going to be the biggest challenges . . . well, let's hope, anyway.
Last chores and packing today.  Off to Boston tomorrow afternoon.  Dave asked me this morning if I was feeling resigned.  I said that I used to feel resigned, now I feel sentenced.  But seriously, I'm gonna rock it, just like you guys.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2009, 07:36:28 am »
But seriously, I'm gonna rock it, just like you guys.

`nough said! :)

Be sure to ask your doctor about stooping/bending, just to be sure.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Cheryl R

« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2009, 07:41:24 am »
Even once the bending over is allowed again,your head will tell you if its a good idea or not as it may still get a weird feeling when one tries to do too much.      One of my Fellow drs called it all ,no straining.     
Do you have night lights for home as the dark will bother you at night,possibly even when not much else in the way of balance issues.       
I iwsh everyone well who is having their surgery this week!                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

NancyMc

« Reply #156 on: April 06, 2009, 07:46:12 am »
Be sure to ask your doctor

Will I remember everything I need to ask my doctor?  Probably not.

Cheryl,
No nightlights, just the moon when the sky is clear through the skylight, but the light of the clock is often enough to find my bearings if Kodi isn't sleeping on the floor next to the bed.  I already have diminished balance control in the dark, so I'm used to it.  I'll just get a catheter to go.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #157 on: April 06, 2009, 07:56:40 am »
I'll just get a catheter to go.

Now THAT was funny  ;D  A catheter "to go".  Talk about a play on words!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #158 on: April 06, 2009, 08:36:23 am »
Weirdos rock!
You got that right! ;D
But Scarlett, who has the same docs as I, was not given those restrictions. 
But seriously, I'm gonna rock it, just like you guys.
Restrictions given before leaving the hospital… Well let’s just say they were pretty vague.

(Exactly as it is written)
·   Do not operate any motorized vehicle for two weeks.
·   No heavy lifting or bending for one month.
·   Slowly increase your activity at your own pace.
·   Do not operate any motorized vehicle nor drink alcohol while on pain medications.

As you can see, no weight limitations were given.
Nancy although the restrictions I was given were somewhat vague, it does say no bending for 1 month. Do as all before us have advised… Listen to your body!

It won’t do any good pushing to hard too fast.

We will certainly be waiting for Dave to update, and of course you know you are in our thoughts and prayers! I know you will do fine. You are as prepared as anyone can be in this situation. I do agree with Cheryl (hi Cheryl are you going to Maxwell’s?), I turn on all lights when getting up at night. It’s not worth taking any chances tripping over anything!

REST, REST, REST, especially the first week. I want to see you at Maxwell’s! As well as all my new friends I have made on this site.

Keri, careful driving all that distance. Can’t wait to meet you either.

Chris, Thank you for your kind words. I know how much stress Richie was in over my situation, and I’m so happy he had all the people on this forum to help him as well. Honestly, It helps to talk to people who are in the same situation. Hi to Anissa, hope she is feeling better everyday!

Hi Ernie, went for my ride yesterday. It was great. It did warm up nicely in the afternoon. Sorry you won't be coming to Maxwell's, but glad your family is going to Florida to see you.

Scarlett
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2009, 10:10:08 am »
I have to say that I took your words to heart when you said that it would benefit yourself as much as everyone else to tell the story.  I found the updating to be a great way to occupy time as well as get it off my chest.  It is really neat to have all the support and information on this forum and it has been invaluable for us. 
Chris
Hi Chris,

Thank you for the kind words.

Everone one on this forum is so supportive and caring.  Each day I found myself ready to burst at the seems with emotions, and couldn't wait to get home and share the days news with our new friends.  The hope and inspiration came from within the hearts of the people on this forum.  If I was able to do the same you, that warms my heart :)

Like the thousands of spouses and caregivers before us, and the ones to follow, all we can do is support our loved ones the best we can.  I know you are a kind heart, it's there in your posts.  You and Anissa will be fine.  Things may be different (the new normal), but I know you two are up to the challenge.  Please give Anissa a big hug from Scarlett and I.

Nancy,

As Scarlett pointed out, you are about as prepared as one could be.  Just give some thought to a lamp or flashlight "within reach" from your bed, a shower seat, and a cane to stablize yourself out side when the wonky head hits you hard.

Is someone going to be there with Dave?  We will be thinking of him.

Know that you will be in our thoughts and prayers, and awaiting Dave's updates.  And hope you will be up to atending the Brunch.

Keri, I've contacted the Massachusetts State Police and their going to clear the roads ahead of you ;D ;D  Looking forward to seeing you.

JB, Cheryl, and Ernie I hope to meet all of you one day, our extended family :)

Take care,

Rich
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

NancyMc

« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2009, 12:09:38 pm »
it does say no bending for 1 month

Oh, darn, I must've blocked on that one.  Fine, I'll just scooch around on my butt then to do my weeding and planting.

Is someone going to be there with Dave?

Just my laptop so he can work.  He will be a nervous wreck, though, so cheer him up if you get a chance.  Remind him to eat, tell him to call his parents since he owes them a call, and tell him it's a great opportunity to get some work done since he's gonna be waiting on me hand and foot from now on.  Actually, he's giving me a pedicure tonight, so how about that!

SML

« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2009, 08:13:54 pm »

Actually, he's giving me a pedicure tonight, so how about that!

I jealous! I didn’t get that!
Relax and enjoy it!

We will keep him company, don’t worry.

Scarlett

NancyMc

« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2009, 05:40:15 am »
Thank you, Scarlett.  You've been an enormous help and inspiration.
Off to Brookline this afternoon.  Last vacuum, pack up the dog to take to Mom's, finish my packing, and the long drive south in the pouring rain.
At least I won't be missing the nice weather!
Take care.
Nancy

SML

« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2009, 07:03:27 am »
Nancy,

You will be in our prayers the whole time. Try to stay calm; I know it won’t be easy. You’re going to be fine.

Just a note: When I was asked to rate my pain on a scale from 1 to 10, I didn’t rate it higher than a 4 or 5. That was the headache/neck pain that got a 5 while I was in ICU. I found the morphine made my pain worse. If you see that a certain medication is not working for you, tell your nurse. They have different kinds they can give you. I found the combination of Percocet, Valium and an ice pack behind my neck helped me the most. Oh, I asked to for meds to help the nausea a lot too! Everyone’s pain is different of course, and I will pray yours goes towards the easier side like mind did.

We will be waiting for the updates! :-*

Scarlett and Richie

NancyMc

« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2009, 08:15:45 am »
Great advice, Scarlett.  Thank you.  You didn't have the hip pain, right?  I got really nervous yesterday, but I think I'll make it through today and just go in to shock tomorrow morning.   :-[
nANcy