Author Topic: Post treatment peripherial neuropothy  (Read 3246 times)

Richard in Palacios

Post treatment peripherial neuropothy
« on: February 19, 2009, 12:17:55 pm »
Has anyone experienced any sort of  peripherial neuropothy following any variety of radiation treatment?  I ask because I am currently experiencing what my medical doctors want to call a "diabetic neuropothy" which is fairly common among folks who have a history of several years of uncontrolled blood glucose levels. Our issue with the diagnosis is that I am not diabetic nor have I been in the past.  I did find a rather obscure reference to the possibility of radiation treatments causing such a neuropathy and was just wondering if anyone else has experienced a neuropothy of undetermined origins following radiation of any sort.  We are actively treating the symptoms but I would realy like to identify the cause.  Any information will be greatly apreciated.
Thanks,
Richard
Was AKA "RED in Palacios". That account now inactive. Originally diagnosed in 10/06 9mm X 3.6mm Waiting and watching.
As of 4/08 15mm X 6mm.  No longer waiting and watching.  Had SRS 6/10/08 at Methodist Hospital in Houston

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Post treatment peripherial neuropothy
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 01:53:42 pm »
Richard ~

I'm sorry to learn of this unfortunate development (peripherial neuropathy) in your recovery.  I'm not a doctor (or medical professional of any kind) but my internet research into this condition didn't find any relation to radiation mentioned.  I underwent 26 FSR treatments in 2006 and haven't experienced peripherial neuropathy but I'll watch the thread to see if anyone else has dealt with this.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Richard in Palacios

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 03:23:49 pm »
Jim,
Appreciate the info.  I really don't expect to find many, if any of us who can relate their neuropathy to a radiation application but figured if any of the AN community had, they would gladly share.  Mine is coming around to being manageable but subject to change at any whim.  I guess I am just feeling picked on and wanted to check and see if I am indeed alone in this predicament.  This condition makes the recovery after my SRS seem like nothing at all.

Richard
Was AKA "RED in Palacios". That account now inactive. Originally diagnosed in 10/06 9mm X 3.6mm Waiting and watching.
As of 4/08 15mm X 6mm.  No longer waiting and watching.  Had SRS 6/10/08 at Methodist Hospital in Houston

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 09:51:11 pm »
This link at the Mayo Clinic site lists 8 possible causes, with radiation treatment not among them.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/peripheral-neuropathy/DS00131/DSECTION=causes

It seems unlikely to me that SRS radiation of a tumor in your head would cause it. I should note that the last comment on the link above is perhaps a little depressing; it says "Unfortunately, it's not always easy to pinpoint the cause of peripheral neuropathy. In fact, if your neuropathy isn't associated with diabetes, it's possible the cause may never be found."

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 07:45:02 am »
I had some neuropathy after my last surgery.       I am NF2 so more than one AN.       This was almost a year ago.       My family dr said to have a vitamin with higher B vitamins such as Centrum Silver.       It did go away in time.       I had bits of tingling esp in my feet and legs.     
                                                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

reg

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 02:15:24 pm »
 :( i am 27 months post-op for surgical removal of 4 cm an from right side and iam expericing severe periperal neuropathy on my whole left side, i have a shunt installed so i was thinking maybe it was ht a nerve during routing still trying to figure this thing out, doc has prescribed gabapentin, ami and nortripaline which didnt help now iam currently on toprimate which has a lot of side effects so iam thinking about not taking it, so i know wht you are talking about if you know of any new info let me know hope you feel better
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

Richard in Palacios

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 02:26:15 pm »
Hello reg,
MY doctor started me on Lyrica and it did not help anything except the druggist's bank account.  Am now taking gabapentin (Neurotin) which does help at least moderate the pain.  It did take several weeks to begin working for me but it does work.  I am also undergoing accupuncture treatments to help restore the nerve function and they really seem to help.  My brother in law knew someone with a neuropathy who highly reccomended a homeopathic product called "neurogen".  It is an mixture of essential oils and is applied directly to the skin. I have only begun using it so really can't testify to the effectiveness yet.  I can say that I was able to sleep through the night last night so I am encouraged that it may help.  Time will tell.  I'll post again after I have a better idea about the effectveness or if I run across anything new.  I appreciate your info.

Richard