Author Topic: Mis-firing balance nerve CK/GK  (Read 1780 times)

Greg M

• Not all who wander are lost...
Mis-firing balance nerve CK/GK
« on: March 14, 2009, 04:02:18 pm »
I am trying to understand more about balance issues. What happens if you have a mis-firing balance nerve after treatment(CK/GK) do to damage from either the AN or treatment? How often does this happen? I am having very minor balance problems so my AN is effecting my balance. Does the CK/GK treatment ever kill the nerve completely? I have read that there is a shot they can give that will kill the nerve if  you have one good one and one scrambled one, what the heck is in the shot? Is there a surgery approach to take out the nerve? I'm a little worried about the whole balance issue in regard to the radiation option. Well people thanks so much for your time, you all have been really great! Be well, Greg
diagnosed 1-9-09 1.3cm LF side AN
some tinnitus, high frequency hearing loss
GK 6-17-09 @ GK center of Portland
Dr.Bader & Dr.Wayson
Time will tell......

sgerrard

Re: Mis-firing balance nerve CK/GK
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 04:26:51 pm »
This is an important question to ask if you are considering radiation treatment. Good that you ask it.

I think generally that CK/GK do not make balance nerves worse or better. If you have only slight balance dysfunction, or none, you should be okay after treatment. If it is more severe, though, this can be a problem. Dr. Hodgson had me go for vestibular tests to get a real assessment of my balance nerve function, which came back saying there was only minimal impact on the inferior branch. Maybe you can get those tests too.

If there is a significant issue after treatment, they can try the gentamycin injection, but I believe it also tends to take out the hearing nerve, if it works. There is also a minor surgical procedure called a labyrinthectomy, which takes out the balance organ (and the hearing as well I believe), but does not go in further after the tumor itself.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.