Author Topic: Waiting a year before MRI  (Read 2368 times)

Kilroy1976

Waiting a year before MRI
« on: February 14, 2006, 01:36:20 pm »
I notice that most people seem to have their first post-radiation MRI at either the 3-month or 6-month mark. My doctors don't want me to have one until 12 months have passed, and I'm wondering if anyone else was told to wait this long. The doctors said that they used to order an MRI after three months, but almost never found results. Then they tried ordering them after six months and weren't seeing much then either, so now they do them after a year. Is this common?
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

DeniseSmith

Re: Waiting a year before MRI
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 03:15:35 pm »
Larry,

My surgery was on 5/9/2005, and I will have my first post-op MRI on 5/9/2006. So mine is also at the one year anniversary also.  I did see my surgeon at six months, but no MRI.

Denise

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 04:02:31 pm »
Mine was 1 year also
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

flagger

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 11:31:10 pm »
Having the MRI 6 months after the radiation can be scary because often the AN swells before it begins to shrink.  By the 1 year point, the swelling should be past and the shrinking begun.  Be confident and I wish you the same success that I have had 6 years ago.No side effects. K

SuzeAN

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 11:10:31 am »
I have MRI followup for the six month mark in April, I appreciate the information here because now I won't be discouraged if there is swelling or no change at that time.  I have to say though I am anxious to know what's going on inside my head, I don't think about it everyday, that's why I have such infrequent visits to the website here but I am hoping for good outcome.

good thoughts to all,
Sue
2.5 cm, left side
CK-Barrows 10/05