Author Topic: Scared and confused  (Read 2090 times)

CARMEN12

Scared and confused
« on: February 17, 2006, 07:07:11 pm »
Not sure If I am doing this correct first time but here goes, I am looking at Surgery soon to remove my AN, the doctor at house,ear clinic told me that because I have the dizziness and vertigo that is my best obtion (only) he says that I will not suffer from it anymore, The only other symptom is I'm deaf in my right ear and the constant noice drives me crazy, but nothing with my face, after reading alot of these post's it appears that treatment of any kind is more damaging I am confused, I have no problem being deaf in one ear, the vertigo makes me so sick does anyone know after time I will always have it.  I hope this made sense.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Scared and confused
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 08:40:55 am »
Hi Carmen and welcome....

Like you, I have been feeling quite confused and overwhelmed by everything... I started a thread in another forum here about being scared, confused, overwhelmed and in my decision making process now. Here is the link to the thread that others offered words of encouragement, ways to research, etc.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=847.0

I also have spoken with a doctor from House Clinic (Dr. Brackmann) and he also tried to to assure me that all would be fine and certain outcomes would possibly happen, including vertigo (I have slight balance issues now but not vertigo).

I also have learned to research, research, research.  I'm not overwhelming myself with a lot, but also making sure I understand all available options to me in light of my growth size, location, current symptoms.

This should never be a hasty decision.  This is a very important decision that you will make in life and please... take time to research all of your options. Everyone here is here to help support you in your efforts. We answer questions and share knowledge as best as we can.    There are those here that have had the surgery and are more than happy to discuss their outcomes and dr's names.  There are those here quite versed in the radiation (radiosurgery) treatments that are more than happy to help.

I'm in my final decision process stage now.  I've weighed out what Dr. Brackmann has told me... I''m weighing out all the radiosurgery options... I meet with my local neurosurgeon this week.   I know your symptoms are driving you crazy, but we can help keep you grounded during this process.

What size is your growth?   Where exactly is it located?  Have you only spoken to House Clinic and no others yet?

Sending you wishes and hugs -- and know that we are all in your shoes and here to help.

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

CARMEN12

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 06:34:29 pm »
Thank you for your words, I can't help but feel maybe the AN is not my big problem because I don't read anyone talking about my worse symptom and what took me to the doctor to begin with, I get these horrible episodes of vertigo I mean I get so sick constant vomiting and my head get so hot, I get clammy and the world just spins, I have not read any posts that mentions anyone that experenced the same.  Please if you have I would like to hear if it wass really part of the AN.
Thank you

eronrabun

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 08:25:45 am »
Carmen:

I am not trying to scare you here, but perhaps you should research Ménière’s disease.  Our doctor thought my husband may have had this disease before he preformed the MRI. 

Here are two really informative sites:
www.menieresinfo.com/
http://oto.wustl.edu/men/

Best of luck!
-Eron
-3cm acoustic neuroma "size of an egg"
-pressing on the brain stem
-50/50 chance of severe side effect with "traditional surgery"
-chose "endoscopic procedure" by Dr Shahinian in Los Angeles, CA instead of traditional one
-wouldn't change ANYTHING!
-results are amazing!!!