Author Topic: Surgical experiences with Dr. Chang?  (Read 25865 times)

arcteryx

Surgical experiences with Dr. Chang?
« on: February 19, 2006, 01:50:32 am »
Hello. I was wondering if anybody can report on their experiences with Dr. Steve Chang at Stanford who have undergone surgery? I know he heads up the CK unit there, but I'm interested in people who have had actual surgery from him. Feel free to email me privately if you prefer. Thanks!

Mark

Re: Surgical experiences with Dr. Chang?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 08:28:36 pm »
I had CK with Dr. Chang so I can't offer much personal experience relative to the surgery side. When I saw him in December he mentioned he had 4-5 scheduled in that month alone, but I didn't ask how many he does in a year. I know he works a lot in conjunction with Robert Jackler and Roberson who are pretty well regarded AN surgeons. I'm sure you could call his office and get some of those details though.

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

russ

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 10:30:36 pm »
Hi
  Robert Jackler
   Seems he recently left UCSF for Harvard? If he is the one, he helped train my Mayo Otologist in AN Tx. Dr Jacklar was consulted about my situation by my Mayo Clinic Dr and did recommend a Middle Fossa Tumor Decompression. My thinking is this procedure is his brain child and has been adopted by others?!? One could ask him I suppose in case IAC tumor removal proves to be too great a risk to hearing or the facial nerve.
  Russ

PS Please forgive if I have my Drs mixed up but Dr Jacklar enjoys a good reputation despite what Dina Golden puts in her anarchives "Hall of Shame". Dr Li has a very good web site retort to her absurdity. She even attacked HEI.

Mark

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 01:41:36 am »
No Russ, Dr. Jackler went from UCSF to Stanford, and yes the AN Archive hall of shame does a disservice to some very talented doctors. The fact that he has also added CK to his treatment options for patients alone should get him off Dina Goldin's list if she ever updated her web site.

Mark

Robert K Jackler, MD
Service Chief, Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery
Professor

Clinic:    Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
801 Welch Rd.
MC 5739
Stanford, CA 94305
(650) 723-5281

Fax:    (650) 725-6685

Physician Referrals:    (650) 723-5400

Office:    Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
801 Welch Rd.
MC 5739
Stanford, CA 94305
(650) 725-6500

Specialties:    Otolaryngology / Head and Neck Surgery
Sub-Specialties:    Neurotology
Skull Base Surgery
Otology
Research Interests:    View Research Interests and Publications
Professional Education:    Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, 1979
Internship:    UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco, CA, 1980
Residency:    UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco, CA, 1984
Fellowship:    House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, CA, 1985
Board Certification:    Neurotology, American Board of Otolaryngology
Otolaryngology, American Board of Otolaryngology
Years on Staff:    3

CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

matti

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 06:35:56 pm »
I do not have any experience with Dr. Chang at Stanford, but do have with Dr. Roberson of the California Ear Institute, who also operates out of Stanford. As Mark stated, Roberson is a well regarded AN surgeon in Northern CA. My surgery was almost 8 years ago, and I see him on a regular basis for my folllow-up MRI's. He is outstanding!!!!!

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Angela

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 04:11:38 pm »
Correct, Robert Jackler was at UCSF with Larry Pitts (who I also consulted with).  Jackler was my lead surgeon; Nicholas Blevins and Stephen Chang were also on the team.

I talked on the phone to Chang.  He was very personable and helpful.  However, I only met him once, during pre-op.  Never saw him again!
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)

CoachC

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 10:34:52 am »
Hello, At the time of your inital post, I was about 2 weeks out from my surgery.  I had a translab to remove a grapefriut sized AN.  How it got that darn big is beyond me.  According to my wife, Dr. Chang believed it to be 20+ years old.  In my initail meeting with him in January, he was very helpful, personable, and professional.  I have to admit that I was a bit "strar struck" as I had just seen him in a CK DVD.  We joked a bit about this which gave my wife and I a HUGE sense of comfort.  I had my surgery on Feb 6 of 06.  I saw Dr. Chang the morning of and two days after the surgery.  I have an appointment to see him again in August.  I can't say enough how happy and satisfied I am with my experience.  Not that my opinion really matters to anyone else, but Dr Chang, Dr Blevins, and all their staff have been AWESOME!!!!
AN removal in Feb 06
Stanford
3.5 cm+

Angela

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 05:58:17 pm »
Hi CoachC:  Good to hear you're doing well. 

One of my co-workers went though Blevins/Chang/Jackler.  He's now 3 1/2 yrs postop and still has great things to say about his follow-up appts with Chang.
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)

feline

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 12:00:22 pm »
I had sx at Stanford with dr chang and dr blevinns on june 30th 2014 translab I am 10wk post from a 3cm AN being removed due to having a reck with both on sept 10 they and the staff have been great.  things are not back to normal facial paralysis numbness and no blink reflex but they say it will take time do not rush the nerves. does anyone else have a update with these surgeons post op?
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise